Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand held GPS

Hand held GPS

More advice please - anyone got some top tips for a hand held GPS device. Essentially need one to get me back onto route if lost!! Long battery life is important. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions
    Cheers, Rich

Re: Hand held GPS

why do you specifically want hand held? i would have thought a watch system would be better. I use the Garmin Forerunner 205 which i great, plenty on here use other garmin models.
    the forerunner series has the ability to pre-plot a breadcrumb trail, but not a map.
    Adam Speed
    P&B

I use a Garmin Foretrex 101.

Like above you can load a track and waypoints to navigate via, but no basemap.

Crucially this model AAA takes batteries, so with spares you can go as long as you want.

Discontinued, but always on ebay £50-75

Master

There seem to be lots of apps - hate that word - for smart phones that involve maps/GPS - has that made hand held GPS thingys redundant? I have a very old hand held which I no longer use and do not have a mobile phone, but am thinking of getting a 4s ....

I'm looking for something to use on a multi-day.
    I have a Forerunner 610 but battery life is only 8 hrs. Don"t necessarily want to leave the device on all the time but want it for back up etc. Don't think my watch fits the bill

I have memory maps installed on my HTC desire and run mm tracker app. Got a waterproof ARM band for easy access for long days on fell ,it dosn't need to run all the time picks up your location fast and is very accurate.

I use a Garmin Dacota 20. It is small with a good touch screen. It has high sensitivity, a proper electronic compass and barometric altimeter. Ni-MH batteries last for around 16 hours. It has a base map and will upload gpx tracks and paths. If you want to see where you have been after a run just turn it on, put it in your pocket and download the track when you finish. Price close to £200 - try Amazon. ydt

I have a Garmin Etrex that I use for walking, just turn it on to get a grid ref if needed to check location.
    Cost about 60 quid & is brilliant for what I use it for.
    But I am an old crusty who still uses the old fashioned twiddly thing & a paper map

I've an Garmin etrex Venture HC with mapsource loaded on to it. It hasn't the detail of OS but more than enough to use in in white out on bleaklow.

contors, streams, summits, villages, roads etc but no paths. very accurate and with a colour screen.

Used for MR stuff and reccies ect although I can get Mapyx(?spell) for free which I will do when my current phone contract runs out.

Down loadable routes and tracks waypoints etc I use rechargables batteries but if I switch it on and leave it to record my route in my rucsac it goes all day, infact I've forgotten about it some times and the following morning when I empty my sack it's often still on, always carry spare batteries though and they are the same size as for the head torch so interchangable.

I'm now thinking of buying a Garmin Etrex 30X hand held GPS for use walking in the french mountains. Please has anyone experience / recommendations about this or similar?
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.