Thread: Nortnern XC

Nortnern XC

Plenty of names also recognised from fell races enjoying the mudlark conditions on Saturday at Knowsley. Some enjoyed it more than others (I enjoyed roughly half of it):

5 42:19 Chris Farrell SEN M Horwich
    8 42:34 Tom Adams SEN M Ilkley
    9 42:38 Nick Swinburn SEN M Morpeth/Northumberland Fell Runners
    14 43:12 Andrew Davies SEN M Stockport
    15 43:16 Dave Archer SEN M Hallamshire
    20 43:44 Gary Priestley SEN M Salford H/Edge Hill Uni/Blackburn
    22 43:58 Robert Little SEN M Hallamshire/Dark Peak/Sheffield Uni
    26 44:03 Rob Hope V40 M Pudsey & Bramley
    28 44:18 Steve Hebblethwaite SEN M Steve Hebblethwaite Keswick/Seaton
    47 45:40 Mark Lamb SEN M Keswick/Seaton
    48 45:41 Nick Leigh V40 M Horwich
    65 46:27 Rhys Findlay-Robinson SEN M Dark Peak/Keswick
    67 46:39 John Battrick SEN M John Battrick Keswick
    71 46:50 Tim Ellis SEN M Horwich R M I Harriers
    77 47:13 Adam Osborne V40 M Philip Townsend Leeds City
    100 48:08 Tom Edwards SEN M Philip Townsend Leeds City
    115 48:58 Harry Holmes SEN M Knavesmire
    127 49:30 Nicholas Barber SEN M Hallamshire/Pennine
    129 49:37 Nathanial Winfield V35 M Buxton
    159 50:42 Sol Clark SEN M Buxton
    230 53:07 Steve Angus V45 M Border

In the top 250 of the senior men's race
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Ba-ba are you doing the Nationals at Nottingham end of Feb?

I'm running for Coventry Godiva now, they are Division 1 of the Birmingham league. I didn't get my EA number through quick enough to run in any league fixtures this year, but they've put me in the Nationals.

I'll be well out of my depth but it's all with the aim of improving on the fells. Just training with them twice a week doing structured sessions and I already feel a stronger runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Ba-ba are you doing the Nationals at Nottingham end of Feb?

I'm running for Coventry Godiva now, they are Division 1 of the Birmingham league. I didn't get my EA number through quick enough to run in any league fixtures this year, but they've put me in the Nationals.

I'll be well out of my depth but it's all with the aim of improving on the fells. Just training with them twice a week doing structured sessions and I already feel a stronger runner.
    I wouldn't worry about being out of your depth. It's like the London marathon of Cross Country (no fancy dress though ) with the elite at one end sub 40 minutes and tailenders more than 90 minutes.

You'll enjoy the experience and it's a great venue.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Yes I am at the National. Like Richard says ability levels cover the whole gamut.
    I used to race Godiva runners in Birmingham League when I ran for City of Stoke AC. They had a bit of a tailing off in my 2nd season compared to the first - getting teams out is difficult. If you can run Brum league next year do so as, along with the Met league, it's the best in the country.

Now if you want to feel out of your depth, you need to run the Intercounties XC. I did 2 years back, suffered hard and maybe just snuck into the top 80%.

I'm running this year's IC's. A week after the HPM. Why-oh-why-oh-why did I decide to do that? Suppose I'm taking every opportunity to get some use out of my Derbyshire vest...

Well that's a bit of a relief then, maybe I won't be dead last!

Yes the B'ham league does sound competitive. Godiva are 6th I believe, and I think City of Stoke are 4th or 5th. Loughborough Uni seem to be the team to beat at the moment.

Can't see me getting a county vest any time soon (or anytime later for that matter). I may sneak a vest for the inter counties fell, as Warwickshire is not big mountain country, but not a chance at XC.

I'm of the opinion that you can't call yourself a (n English) runner without experiencing the start of The National senior races at least once.

I'm already looking forward to the next race on Parliament Hill as that provides the biggest fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I wouldn't worry about being out of your depth. It's like the London marathon of Cross Country (no fancy dress though )

Can anyone run now? It didn't used to be like that, only 9 runners from each club; my aim was the top 1000!
    Agree about the start, amazing experience, you could feel the ground tremble.
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

yep.
    6-man and 9-man teams of your best finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I'm of the opinion that you can't call yourself a (n English) runner without experiencing the start of The National senior races at least once.

I'm already looking forward to the next race on Parliament Hill as that provides the biggest fields.

I concur! Absolute classic experience. Done Leeds and Hampstead Heath....and, I think, Nottingham. I'll be there this year too. You can't beat being strung out across the field and the 'gun' going! Knowlsey was indeed a mudfest! Not sure I've ever ran a race with so much constant, and consistent, mud!! Great fun!
    Last edited by that_fjell_guy; 02-02-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com