Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An article by Morgan W

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Yes, good to see that you are back Morgan, you may just have to change your 'Location: Stuck at home :-(' to something a little more current!

Chris

Good job someone is paying attention.

Just back from La Gomera where, with Alison's help (regular kicks up the arse essentially) I managed 85kms and 5,000m +/- over 6 days so things are improving.

Hope you're in good order.

Morgan
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Good work Morgan. Here's me, no major accident or such like, but at 67 I'm struggling to articulate my knees properly just due to the stiffness of the ageing process.
    Well done to Alison for pushing you along ...... I guess we could all do with a fiery little dominatrix to crack the whip and push us to greater efforts.

All The Best,

Ian.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

'Out and about, slow but steady'.........yes Morgan much more positive! I'm probably slower than you, but really enjoying actually 'seeing' routes I used to run, however my knees are (at the moment) in better shape than WD (Ian) allowing me to make more use of 'granny gear' on the bike. The comments that follow your article just show how much true empathy there is with other endurance athletes, and well done on La Gomera, stunning.
    ''I guess we could all do with a fiery little dominatrix to crack the whip and push us to greater efforts.'' Quite right Ian!
    Last edited by Chris K; 21-03-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: missed bits out!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    'Out and about, slow but steady'.........yes Morgan much more positive! I'm probably slower than you, but really enjoying actually 'seeing' routes I used to run, however my knees are (at the moment) in better shape than WD (Ian) allowing me to make more use of 'granny gear' on the bike. The comments that follow your article just show how much true empathy there is with other endurance athletes, and well done on La Gomera, stunning.
    ''I guess we could all do with a fiery little dominatrix to crack the whip and push us to greater efforts.'' Quite right Ian!
    Chris

You are right. The comments have been fantastic.

I'm ready to get the road bike out but it won't stop snowing.......

I haven't reported Ian's comment back to Alison yet but I'm looking forward to doing that.

The best comment came from Robert Macfarlane who did read the piece and Tweeted me:

I read your piece on reading and recovering, and thought it a very fine, honest, moving piece of writing.

I'll take that to my grave.

If that is Robert Macfarlane as in the author, that is wonderful. His book 'Wild Places' has taken me out to remote places when I've physically not be able to get to places in person. Recovery reading is good!

Chris

Yes, that Robert Macfarlane.

His Twitter feed is a delight, especially his “word of the day” posted each morning at 7.00 am, and culled from the vast store of “outside words” he has collected and stored.

His effort to help re-wild our language first covered in “Landmarks” published in 2015.

Incredibly nice man and always ready to engage with you on a word or image.

As my iRF piece suggested, The Old Ways has had a big impact on the new, slower me.

Morgan

I've been meaning to update this, but got distracted.

The third and final instalment of the Buggered Knee trilogy did appear on iRunFar.com towards the end of 2018.

It's here:

https://www.irunfar.com/2018/10/the-...edemption.html

I've no idea if there is more writing in the tank. If there is it won't be about the recovery.

Plans for the year include a walking trip to El Hiero (Canaries), a week in Chamonix including supporting the nephew and partner doing the 90K race and, hopefully, a trek in the Langtang area in Nepal in October/November and a visit back to the school in Kathmandu to see the new building that we helped construct in 2017.

Cheers one and all.
    Last edited by MorganW; 20-01-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Morgan, the article has brought a tear to my eye, I know your planned trips for this year will go well now. If ever there was a relay for us 'maturing' fell runners, I'd happily do the down hill bit if you do the uphill and someone can take me to the top!

Super Moderator
    Fantastic writing Morgan. Thanks for sharing the link

Interested to know how your El Hierro trip goes. We went to La Gomera last December and had a great time. Tempted to try El Hierro next.