Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Lakes

New to the Lakes

I'm wanting to expand my horizons this summer and try to take in at least a couple of fell races in England and Wales.

I live in Central Scotland and notice there are a lot of English runners that come up for events here but not sure how many Scots head South and I reckon I am most likely missing out on some great events.

I'm looking for AM or AL. I know I could just check the calendar but I'd like to hear what folks consider to be their 'must do' events of that ilk.

Sprog number 4 is due at the end of May this year so free time is at a premium for 2017!!

If I could pick one in the Lakes and one in Wales, which ones should they be and why?!

Thanks for humouring me! ;-)

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    My favourite Lakes AMs (and both handily before the end of May!) are the Anniversary Waltz and Buttermere Sailbeck. Later in the year, I'd plump for Kentmere. All 3 are great routes with some fantastic scenery and some lovely ridge running to be had throughout.

I guess everyone will champion a different AL - they are all classics. Of them all I would have to go for Borrowdale. It may not be the hardest (probably Wasdale takes that) but it is tough and a fantastic route taking in the highest fells - deservedly popular.

Not done many races in Wales though Y Gader (Cader Idris) is a highlight for me.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Just entered the Waltz - cheers!

Now to tell the wife she's having a romantic day trip to the lakes (and watching the three sprogs whilst I go out to enjoy myself).............

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Excellent - hope you enjoy it.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by granty View Post
    Just entered the Waltz - cheers!

Now to tell the wife she's having a romantic day trip to the lakes (and watching the three sprogs whilst I go out to enjoy myself).............
    How old are the sprogs? They could try their hand at the junior Anni. Wa races!
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Hi Granty

A great race in Wales before May is Ras y Moelwyn on the 8th April.

Come over for chat at Anniversary Waltz, I'll be the runner in the vest that resembles a St Mirren football shirt.

Whilst you're down south a trip to the Peak District for Kinder Downfall is also at option.....it's the day after Anniversary Waltz making a nice double.

Enjoy
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

cheers Pete.

Hobbsy, the sprogs are 14, 6 and 2 however Mrs Granty has decreed it shall be a child-free weekend. It is our Anniversary on the 1st of April so it will be a late present to ourselves.

I had hoped to camp but she will be looking for 5-star with spa facilities as I type...

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Hi Granty

Come over for chat at Anniversary Waltz, I'll be the runner in the vest that resembles a St Mirren football shirt.

Whilst you're down south a trip to the Peak District for Kinder Downfall is also at option.....it's the day after Anniversary Waltz making a nice double.

Enjoy
    Great stuff - will-do. I'll be in the Gold and Black 'W' of Westerlands. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by granty View Post
    cheers Pete.

Hobbsy, the sprogs are 14, 6 and 2 however Mrs Granty has decreed it shall be a child-free weekend. It is our Anniversary on the 1st of April so it will be a late present to ourselves.

I had hoped to camp but she will be looking for 5-star with spa facilities as I type...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Hi Granty

Enjoy
    Careful Granty, or before you know it, Darren will have you racing twice every weekend in the Fishwickian pursuit of 'nice doubles'......!!
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Granty, my opinion is if you are going to travel such a distance, you need to get your money's worth! So if I was going to suggest a race in Wales I would way Welsh 1000metres. Stunning course and a long day out. Although it is first weekend in June so maybe not so good for you. Peris is also fantastic in the same part of the world, general consensus seems to be that it's harder, but it's a very close call for me. A dark-horse in wales for me is Black Mountains in September which is very tough and very beautiful, but if you're unfamiliar with the area and the weather is down it could be very frustrating. but if I had to pick just one then it would be one of the north wales ones.

In the lakes your spoilt for choice, I'd personally go with the toughest race you can manage, be that Wasdale/Buttermere, Ennerdale, Borrowdale, Kentmere, Langdale. If I had to pick one for someone new to the area, then Borrowdale. As someone said above, it's fantastic and very tough, particularly the second half, and feels like a real event.

Not been to Scotland for 11 years but heading up for the Jura this year, can't wait...!

Pete