Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding Pacers / Offering

Finding Pacers / Offering

Hi everyone,
    I am looking to make my first attempt on the BGR this summer. I live down south sadly, so the usual problems of training and getting time to recce the route apply.

I have a question about pacers.

Before I ask the BGR community to help me on my own attempt, I would like to support someone else with their effort, either manning a road-station crossing or (preferably) bag-carrying on a leg or two.

My questions:
    - Is this forum the best place for me to lookout for people who want someone to help them?
    - Is there scope for a separate website matching up people volunteering to help and people asking for help?
    - What should I do, when asking for help with my own attempt in the summer, to ensure that I don't annoy people who I am asking to generously give up their time and expertise in exchange for a bit of suffering with a stranger from down south in the hills?
    - Is anyone planning an early summer attempt who would like me to support them?

Thank you all in advance,

Super Moderator
    Welcome to the forum BG

Are you planning on visiting Lakeland for training / route-finding / acclimatisation? If so post on the forum and there's a good chance other aspirants or local BG'ers will meet you. It might not be as hard as you think to build up a network of Bobbers. It's even possible there are other runners relatively close to you with similar plans

Over the last few years we've had a "Class of 201#" thread. Look out for this year's and good luck!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Welcome to the forum BG

Are you planning on visiting Lakeland for training / route-finding / acclimatisation? If so post on the forum and there's a good chance other aspirants or local BG'ers will meet you. It might not be as hard as you think to build up a network of Bobbers. It's even possible there are other runners relatively close to you with similar plans

Over the last few years we've had a "Class of 201#" thread. Look out for this year's and good luck!
    What have stripped down motorcycle's got to do with the BGR ? or is a round with trials bike support on the cards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobber_%28motorcycle%29
    The older I get the Faster I was

Give me a shout if you need support and, if available, I'll help out. There may also be people I know who can also help support. The facebook Bob Graham group is also quite good but not as easy to keep track of conversations. Good luck with it all.

Thank you!

Thank you very much!

Im doing the bgr on may 11th. I'll have nav/pacers sorted but your welcome to come along. My mrs is also doing it on the weekend 9th/10th june. theres also a bob graham group on facebook where people are always asking for help and meeting up recces etc.

I've not done it BobGraham but I do follow the BGR threads avidly having aspirations myself. I'd say YES this is the best place to build up contacts, ask for assistance and get advice. Nothing I've seen or heard of compares. Despite appearances there are some friendly, helpful folk here. There's even people that actually do helping BGRers for fun!!!?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Am also planning an attempt (13/14 May) and in the same situation...an unfortunate southerner who's recce'd 2/3 of it over last couple of years, and am hoping to get the rest covered over Easter and poss another March/April w/e. Really happy to assist another/others and would also appreciate company more experienced than myself on my legs...when are you planning your attempt BG?

Hi..
    I would love to help if at all possible..
    I don't live locally either and have just 3.5 mths to June 10th and my attempt... I feel a bit over awesome and daunted, but will give it my all leading up to and doing it...
    Please drop me a shout..

I have a Bob Graham Round Face book group..join if you like..and I'll to you..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1587393767942332/
    Look forward to hopefully meeting you soon..
    Cheers

Gavin Sandford