Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: prepatellar bursitis

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    chesterfield
    Posts
    1

    prepatellar bursitis

    Hi any advice would be much appreciated on my massive problem with prepatellar bursitis!I have tried everything to get rid of this,the usual rest,all that did was make me unfit and depressed,ive had steroid injections,physio,osteopathy,acupuncture,ive done strengthening exercises,and various natural remedies like magnesium oil and arnica! im at my wits end with it now,some days its bearable other days its agony and i really want to ramp up the training for some big races coming up....!ive had this now for two years and all my doctor says is to take anti inflamatorys,what ? for the rest of my life???

  2. #2
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    6,208
    Quote Originally Posted by fatfemalefellrunner View Post
    Hi any advice would be much appreciated on my massive problem with prepatellar bursitis! I have tried everything to get rid of this, the usual rest,all that did was make me unfit and depressed, ive had steroid injections, physio, osteopathy, acupuncture, ive done strengthening exercises, and various natural remedies like magnesium oil and arnica! I'm at my wits end with it now, some days its bearable other days its agony and i really want to ramp up the training for some big races coming up....! I've had this now for two years and all my doctor says is to take anti inflamatorys, what? for the rest of my life???
    Hi there FFFR, i'm a veteran of chronic knee injury and although i'm not qualified in sports rehab in any way i've learnt how to deal with these things by following a set order of events. The first thing i would do under these circumstances is to stop running, cycling, kneeling...anything that you know irritates it. Even minimise your walking if you are in an acute stage. Secondly you need to understand the fact that your life and your return to sport are now dictated by the progress of this injury, so forget any big races you may have in your diary and commit totally to a recovery program. Any deviation from my second point will result in more pain for longer and longer; trust me- i speak from experience.

    Start to familiarise yourself with the concept of marginal gains. Forget injections and all that rubbish, i'm talking about treatments such as rest, heat, cold, anti-inflammatory gel, k-taping/joint immobilisation taping. This will be one of your greatest tools going forward, though you will need the assistance of a proper sports physio to apply each to its full potential.

    The last and most crucial point is diagnosis. Looking at your post, you're either being daft with your rest and recovery or you've been misdiagnosed. The alternate condition that springs to mind for your symptoms is Patellar Maltracking. I've never met anyone who has ever suffered from Prepatellar Bursitis, and furthermore if that diagnosis came from the NHS i'd be sceptical; especially in light of your lack of any visible recovery. You are wasting your time seeking the advice of a GP, even the NHS physios as far as i have ever seen have no discernible sports rehab experience. The only route i ever take with the NHS is referrals to a consultant in order to obtain an MRI report from a Radiologist...which i then take to my private sports physio to get the right treatment. If you don't have any recommendations to follow up for a private physio PM me and i can give you the details of mine.
    Can't climb for toffee...

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    2,559
    The only time I came across this - and it was rare to do so - was in those who had an obvious history of repeated minor knee trauma - those who had to go up/down stairs on their knees for example. The treatment was easy - avoid/minimise that activity (move bed downstairs, pad knees, chairlift etc). As MB says are we sure of the diagnosis?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Hi there FFFR, i'm a veteran of chronic knee injury and although i'm not qualified in sports rehab in any way i've learnt how to deal with these things by following a set order of events. The first thing i would do under these circumstances is to stop running, cycling, kneeling...anything that you know irritates it. Even minimise your walking if you are in an acute stage. Secondly you need to understand the fact that your life and your return to sport are now dictated by the progress of this injury, so forget any big races you may have in your diary and commit totally to a recovery program. Any deviation from my second point will result in more pain for longer and longer; trust me- i speak from experience.

    Start to familiarise yourself with the concept of marginal gains. Forget injections and all that rubbish, i'm talking about treatments such as rest, heat, cold, anti-inflammatory gel, k-taping/joint immobilisation taping. This will be one of your greatest tools going forward, though you will need the assistance of a proper sports physio to apply each to its full potential.

    The last and most crucial point is diagnosis. Looking at your post, you're either being daft with your rest and recovery or you've been misdiagnosed. The alternate condition that springs to mind for your symptoms is Patellar Maltracking. I've never met anyone who has ever suffered from Prepatellar Bursitis, and furthermore if that diagnosis came from the NHS i'd be sceptical; especially in light of your lack of any visible recovery. You are wasting your time seeking the advice of a GP, even the NHS physios as far as i have ever seen have no discernible sports rehab experience. The only route i ever take with the NHS is referrals to a consultant in order to obtain an MRI report from a Radiologist...which i then take to my private sports physio to get the right treatment. If you don't have any recommendations to follow up for a private physio PM me and i can give you the details of mine.
    MB this has to be one of the best and most sensible posts I have ever read in my years on this forum. Sensible advice indeed and echoed by Mike T.

  5. #5
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    6,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    MB this has to be one of the best and most sensible posts I have ever read in my years on this forum. Sensible advice indeed and echoed by Mike T.
    Thankyou! I could do with taking my own advice on occasions, i'd get more running done and be less depressed that way.
    Can't climb for toffee...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •