Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video - Kenny Stuart

Video - Kenny Stuart

To the best of my knowledge there is very little video existing of Kenny Stuart fell running. I just stumbled across this one, which others may have seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdgn...outu.be&t=1950
    It is of the Kilnsey Crag race in 1980, which Kenny won in a time 0.9 seconds off Fred Reeves course record, when Kenny was just coming through as a pro. He returned in 1981 to win in a new record of 7mins 46 secs from Mick Hawkins, who came back in 1982 to win in 7-35(.8), which is still the record.
    If anyone knows of any other Stuart videos perhaps they could share the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Chilton View Post
    To the best of my knowledge there is very little video existing of Kenny Stuart fell running. I just stumbled across this one, which others may have seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdgn...outu.be&t=1950
    It is of the Kilnsey Crag race in 1980, which Kenny won in a time 0.9 seconds off Fred Reeves course record, when Kenny was just coming through as a pro. He returned in 1981 to win in a new record of 7mins 46 secs from Mick Hawkins, who came back in 1982 to win in 7-35(.8), which is still the record.
    If anyone knows of any other Stuart videos perhaps they could share the information.
    Fantastic footage! Thanks for sharing the link.
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

This one is not fell running, but it's his first marathon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUQkexyBLIY

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar
    Climbing those walls & fences though .

Nasty tumble at 45:45.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Just imagine how much faster Kenny could have run up Kilnsey Crag if he didn't have all that hair weighing him down.

Somewhere, in the bowels of a box, I have a self recorded tape of the televised programme "Over The Tops" - of the inaugural 1985 Buttermere Sailbeck which Kenny won. It includes interviews with Kenny and several other protagonists.

Prior to that it was the 14 mile "Northern Counties Fell Championship" - Buttermere, Dalehead, High Spy, Maiden Moor/Hause Gate, 'The Purple House' to join the Buttermere Sailbeck route up Causey Pike and to the finish.
    I competed in the last running of that race in 1984. Kenny finished in around 1 hour 56 minutes. IIRC I was exactly 1 hour behind Kenny!

Ian Roberts, Bowland Fell Runners ( back then U/A, FRA ).

I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

brilliant! I love it that there is footage of dry stone walling too - a spectator sport if ever I saw one. and the guy finishing the race in bare chest and what looks like jeans.

I've seen this before - the dry stone wall bit is ace. 'What you reckon of that one?' 'Bloody rubbish 'tis that' Funny

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    ... the 14 mile "Northern Counties Fell Championship" - Buttermere, Dalehead, High Spy, Maiden Moor/Hause Gate, 'The Purple House' to join the Buttermere Sailbeck route up Causey Pike and to the finish.
    I competed in the last running of that race in 1984. Kenny finished in around 1 hour 56 minutes. IIRC I was exactly 1 hour behind Kenny!

Ian Roberts, Bowland Fell Runners
    And Kenny's 1.56.23 was five minutes ahead of luminaries such as Broxap, Bland, Symonds, Ashworth, Short...

However, what struck me looking at the relevant Fellrunner (Summer 1984) was the number of races from 1984 that have survived: Whinberry Naze, Edale Skyline, Black Combe, Pendle, Gisborough Moors, Kentmere, Wardle Skyline,...

The inestimable value of SMOTS to me is Bill's broad history of the early years of fell running and then the history of how individual races developed year on year noting incidents, front runners etc up to 1981 when SMOTS effectively finishes.

Others may be in awe of individual runners - but they come and go - and to me the broad sweep of fell race history, in which individual runners play their small part, is of far greater interest.

Some years ago I wrote articles for The Fellrunner on the history of two races I knew a little about (organised by two of my ex-clubs): the (Otley) Chevin (Skyrac AC) and Ilkley Moor (Ilkley Harriers) fell races, and it is a matter of regret to me how few ROs/ clubs, who have organised races for decades, have captured the historical record of their races for The Fellrunner.

"
    What I did on my holidays" articles in The Fellrunner can be interesting but they are essentially ephemeral and unless the history of the sport is captured it will be lost- as I discovered when I researched my Classic Fell Races series: because there will never be another Bill Smith and there will certainly never be a SMOTS part 2.

Of course with The Fellrunner appearing only three times a year this would be a long process, but if an abundance of race histories became available, there might be sufficient for the FRA to publish them as a special supplement or booklet to, say, celebrate the 50th Anniversary?:

50 Classic Fell Races - A History

- background
    - developments/ events/ incidents/ changes/ issues
    - male and female winners
    - the future

There seems to be an unquenchable demand for SMOTS - in large part a history of races - so presumably there is a similar desire for a history of races since 1981 which is (obviously!) becoming further and further in the past.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 09-02-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Chilton;630793...[URL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdgnK7bn4jQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1950[/URL]...
    Masterclass!
    That is fell racing in its purest form, before it became 'diluted' by the masses.
    Stuart is without doubt a fell running legend, few will ever get near his fell running prowess.
    Thanks Steve, for digging this one up.