Thread: Barbondale 2017

Barbondale 2017

Recently I bumped into an old friend I'd not seen in ages and after we'd put the world to rights on all manner of topics ranging from this, that and a bit of the other he asked me if I was still fell racing every week? I told him nothing had changed and I'm racing most weekends, all being well.

I was then taken aback with his inquisitive nature, he seemed to show a genuine interest and bombarded me with a constant flow of questions. I was in my element prattling on about my favourite subject and I was sensing he fancied having a go such was his emthusiasm.....so I asked him if he'd like to join me one weekend?

His reaction wasn't exactly what I'd expected. He recoiled back in horror and blurted out, "not a chance mate, you're all a bunch of troglodytes doing that for enjoyment".

I laughed and the minute we'd said cheerio I was straight on google typing in troglodyte. The cheeky sod was basically saying I was like a primitive caveman....what a load of bunkum, surely there's no evidence in fell running to suggest such nonsense?

Thinking back I'm mad with myself for not firing back a clever or witty riposte. The best i came back with was, "I'll take that as a no then?". At the time if I'd known what a troglodyte meant I'd have clubbed the bugger and dragged him back to my hypothetical cave dwelling.

Fast foward a few weeks and today I'm with like-minded friends parked up at the side of a backroad on the outskirts of the small Cumbrian village of Barbon. It's trying to snow and it's bitter due to the strong wind that's playing havoc with the bobble on my hat.

Toilets and changing facilities aren't an option today: this is back to basics fell racing, registration from the boot of a car...proper.

The wind continues to bite and I'm stood in just my underpants trying to get changed from the boot of my mates car. Sodden shoes after yesterday's race are proving problematic and I'm reduced to using my teeth to loosen off the laces...primitive? did my mate have a point?

At the start line our objective is simple: run/walk as fast as is humanly possible up the hill before us, which is technically known as 'steep as shit' and once you reach the top turnaround and run back down. There's nothing more natural, we're designed to run, it's what cavemen did...oh blimey so they did, my mates words are ringing in my ears.

From the off we're straight into the climb and it's not long before the majority are walking, such is the gradiant of the ascent. Adding the strong easterly wind that blows across our path makes for interesting progress. Once the first check point is reached a right turn leads us straight into the wind which is now accompanied with flurries of snow, through which the summit cairn can just about be seen in the distance.

Once around the cairn and it's a fantastic descent back the way we came. Barbondale is renowned for bum sliding escapades, today we got off lightly in the sliding department, it was pretty mundane...oh well, there's always next time, fingers crossed for proper snow.

Many thanks to Helm Hill and a special mention to check point marshals Craig and Rick...cheers lads.

In the (slightly altered) words of The Troggs-

Fell running, you make my heart sing
    You make everything groovy
    Fell running, I think I love you.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Recently I bumped into an old friend I'd not seen in ages and after we'd put the world to rights on all manner of topics ranging from this, that and a bit of the other he asked me if I was still fell racing every week? I told him nothing had changed and I'm racing most weekends, all being well.

I was then taken aback with his inquisitive nature, he seemed to show a genuine interest and bombarded me with a constant flow of questions. I was in my element prattling on about my favourite subject and I was sensing he fancied having a go such was his emthusiasm.....so I asked him if he'd like to join me one weekend?

His reaction wasn't exactly what I'd expected. He recoiled back in horror and blurted out, "not a chance mate, you're all a bunch of troglodytes doing that for enjoyment".

I laughed and the minute we'd said cheerio I was straight on google typing in troglodyte. The cheeky sod was basically saying I was like a primitive caveman....what a load of bunkum, surely there's no evidence in fell running to suggest such nonsense?

Thinking back I'm mad with myself for not firing back a clever or witty riposte. The best i came back with was, "I'll take that as a no then?". At the time if I'd known what a troglodyte meant I'd have clubbed the bugger and dragged him back to my hypothetical cave dwelling.

Fast foward a few weeks and today I'm with like-minded friends parked up at the side of a backroad on the outskirts of the small Cumbrian village of Barbon. It's trying to snow and it's bitter due to the strong wind that's playing havoc with the bobble on my hat.

Toilets and changing facilities aren't an option today: this is back to basics fell racing, registration from the boot of a car...proper.

The wind continues to bite and I'm stood in just my underpants trying to get changed from the boot of my mates car. Sodden shoes after yesterday's race are proving problematic and I'm reduced to using my teeth to loosen off the laces...primitive? did my mate have a point?

At the start line our objective is simple: run/walk as fast as is humanly possible up the hill before us, which is technically known as 'steep as shit' and once you reach the top turnaround and run back down. There's nothing more natural, we're designed to run, it's what cavemen did...oh blimey so they did, my mates words are ringing in my ears.

From the off we're straight into the climb and it's not long before the majority are walking, such is the gradiant of the ascent. Adding the strong easterly wind that blows across our path makes for interesting progress. Once the first check point is reached a right turn leads us straight into the wind which is now accompanied with flurries of snow, through which the summit cairn can just about be seen in the distance.

Once around the cairn and it's a fantastic descent back the way we came. Barbondale is renowned for bum sliding escapades, today we got off lightly in the sliding department, it was pretty mundane...oh well, there's always next time, fingers crossed for proper snow.

Many thanks to Helm Hill and a special mention to check point marshals Craig and Rick...cheers lads.

In the (slightly altered) words of The Troggs-

Fell running, you make my heart sing
    You make everything groovy
    Fell running, I think I love you.

Brilliant Darren!
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

Haha Funny. Always a pleasure to bump in to you Daz.
    Last edited by Royd Rokit; 13-02-2017 at 04:46 PM.

quality synopsis as usual Darren! :-) were we really doing the funky gibbon on the way back to the car? good job there were newt but penguins taking notice eh?