Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Holloway memorial

looking forward to racing this for the first time since its reincarnation back in 2013. Marshalled a couple of times but its proximity to the solstice have meant other things were prioritised between then and now.
    Thankfully looks like weather will be cooler than last weekend!
    Expecting a fair turn-out considering rumours of championship status next year and chance of a last big day out prior to Wasdale!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Hopefully your expectations will be fulfilled.
    First sub four tomorrow.......
    And the men's record could go too

Bring your best cake eating form

Here are my photos from yesterdays race. A good day out.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/980116...57682398380642

well done everyone. Results here:

http://www.c-f-r.org.uk/content/darr...race-results-0

and photos galore somewhere on this page:

https://www.facebook.com/cumberlandfellrunners/

Many thanks for the photos Mark and others.

I enjoyed my more relaxed outing on the short course…. loved the descent into Buttermere. I had the pleasure of being overtaken by Carl Bell near the top of Mellbreak….. he was absolutely flying with nobody else within sight of him. He even engaged with a bit of conversation with me, also giving me some words of encouragement…. just as Daz would have done. How fitting. He didn’t even sound out of breath…. but went on to go sub 4 hrs and set a new course record!

Rob Jebb finished 2nd, nearly 15 mins behind and was nice to see his descending skills as he came hurtling passed me on a scree section off Mellbreak.

I wasn’t taking my day too seriously and stopped for a cheeky pint at the Kirkstile Inn before the final small incline to finish at the village hall

A very well organised event and really nice atmosphere to it. Catering at the end was epic….. never seen so much cake!!
    Last edited by MarkClayton; 04-10-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    Totley AC

Entries for this year's race open on Friday the 20th April, through the sportident website at 6 p.m.

We are conscious that championship races have often had a "rush" of entries, with people worried about missing out on a place.

We are hoping this isn't going to occur........

Firstly - with the relatively late opening date, hopefully people will have greater confidence in judging their likely level of fitness, reducing the number who enter and then decide several months later that they can't run.

Secondly - we have an increased the limit to 400 runners - the evidence suggests that this will be enough. Last year at Wasdale for example had 230 starters, Castle Carr had 210 ( both Long English champs races )

Whilst not wanting to deter people - please don't enter just in case.........enter because you are coming.

Sadly, we are not running the short race this year, because of the championship status. It will be back next year.

We are keen to encourage runners of all ability and there are generous timeouts - only one person has ever been timed out in the previous races. The last checkpoint closes at half six. Last finisher should be back by 7p.m.

But make no doubt about the seriousness of the undertaking of this classic race route. Details on the CFR website under "CFR race" tab at the top http://www.c-f-r.org.uk/ .

Looking forward to welcoming everyone to what is a rather fitting tribute to such a great set of hills and a great character.
    Last edited by Andrew B; 19-04-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks Andrew

I've never done a fell race before but some of us from work are giving it a go as part of charity stag do. I'm four stone overweight but am confident I can lose that by the date, so am entering good and early as an added incentive to increase my weekly mileage - currently I'm doing 2 laps of the park twice a week which works out at 8k.

But seriously... that all seems very sensible and hopefully should avoid people entering "aspirationally". I'm really looking forward to this one. It will be my first time doing this race, which is long overdue. It's great to have Daz remembered so appropriately, given his penchant for and ability in long Lakes races.

It's a proper beast this.... I did it in 2016, after doing a lot of long races elsewhere, Langdale, Welsh 1000, Trigger, Kentmere, etc.... with a raft of reasonable top half finishes... Buttermere Horseshoe, finished 5th from last!

Admittedly it was the first Lakeland super-long I'd attempted, and I had the Welsh 1000 still in my legs from the previous weekend, and I got lost and made a terrible hash of my route on Haystacks, costing me serious time and mental anguish... but still, it's a different league and it just keeps coming, from the first climb to the last, it's "a bastard"

I think in excessively hot, or poor weather, it could cause carnage in a champs race.

Despite all that I can't wait. Ennerdale and Buttermere in June, lovely.

Noel,

Nicley put.........

We are happy to encourage genuine aspiration from fell runners, and reduce the excessive optimism sometimes demonstrated .....having said that I have entered the Ennerdale and the training is going..........Well still 7 weeks to go.
    Last edited by Andrew B; 19-04-2018 at 09:38 PM.

No one panicked then......