Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fell race's & navigation

Fell race's & navigation

Afternoon all,

I'm after a few tips on navigation during a fell race and by race I mean I will be taking part and if I finish that will be an achievement rather than coming in top 10!

It will be my first longer race (14 mile) that requires navigation, and although I know the basics of using a map and compass have you any tips for making it easier on the day.

The race is pretty local for me so will get 1 or 2 recce runs in before hand.

Thanks for reading

If you can recce the route in advance then race day shouldn't be a problem.
    To improve your running and mapreading at the same time then orienteering is worth a go, if you don't fancy entering an event try some local permanent orienteering courses: https://www.britishorienteering.org....eering_courses
    Most maps only cost £1 or so.

You might also want to do one of the FRA navigation courses!
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

The basics is better than most of us

On your race map, write down the bearings of the route you want to take from all the checkpoints. It saves thinking which way to go.

Do your own nav don't just follow.

If you can find a copy, Mountain Nav for Runners, is good.

Try a Nav course. The FRA do one twice a year or you could try; Nav 4, Everything Outdoors or The Fell Running Guide.

Have fun!

When you write down the bearings (on the map) keep them to multiples of ten - there's no way you can keep to a bearing of 101 degrees, just round things to the nearest ten so 100 degs. It's then easy and quick to set the compass.

Do short nav legs - anything over a Km will introduce too much error even if you did run close to an exact bearing. Use handrails like walls and ridges to guide you into checkpoints
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Thanks for the recommendation sbrt.

I've got regular courses in Navigation Fellrunner 27. where are you based.

I've 2 courses running this week but they are full I'm afraid. I'll be helping on the FRA courses but they are booked up this year.

This is the article I wrote for the Fellrunner, it should give you some tips.

basic- http://everythingoutdoors.co.uk/how_to/navigation-tips/

more skills- http://everythingoutdoors.co.uk/navigation-tips-part-2/

Ian, yes, our FRA course at Kettlewell in March is (more than) full, but at the moment Elterwater in September will still have some spaces. For more information on both subsidised courses, email Margaret [email protected]
    A circular route mostly downhill

Thanks for all the advice!
    shame the kettlewell course is full! I live near Hawes so it would have been ideal!

I recently read both articles, very helpful! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    The basics is better than most of us

On your race map, write down the bearings of the route you want to take from all the checkpoints. It saves thinking which way to go.

Do your own nav don't just follow.

If you can find a copy, Mountain Nav for Runners, is good.

Try a Nav course. The FRA do one twice a year or you could try; Nav 4, Everything Outdoors or The Fell Running Guide.

Have fun!
    Yes, write down the bearings from checkpoints and other critical points. Memorise/understand the lay of the land and match what you see on the ground with the map. And yes, do not follow!

Quote Originally Posted by fellrunner27 View Post
    I recently read both articles, very helpful! Thank you
    Keep both of Ian's articles handy as reference because there are lots of little tips that won't register from a read through and without practice on the fell, you won't improve your skills and confidence.
    A circular route mostly downhill