Thread: BG Club Secretary-ship

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BG Club Secretary-ship

I will be standing down as Secretary of The Bob Graham 24 Hour Club at the end of the 2017 Dinner.

Some people will be aware of the serious running fall I suffered last July and the physical consequences that flowed from that. I am in the process of recovering from a second bout of surgery and the insertion of a second titanium plate and pins to hold various bones in their proper places. Suffice to say that whilst I may in time return to running, ultra-running won’t form part of my future.

Having served in a senior role with the FRA, I am always aware of the (in my view) sensible rule that a significant majority of the FRA board/committee is made up of active fell runners. Whilst the BG Club does not have a similar rule, I hold the view that the Secretary should be a regular participant in the sport, and in Bob Graham attempts, not least so that he or she is part of the active community and is aware of trends and developments in the sport of long distance mountain endeavour.

By the time I stand down I will have served almost 12 years in the role. Again, whilst the Club constitution doesn’t provide for limited tenure, that is a decent stint and I’m happy to pass the batôn over to a suitably qualified and motivated successor.

The committee is made up of members and associate members of the Club. The Secretary’s role involves the management and record keeping for committee meetings (1 each year) and, in theory, members’ meetings (although AGMs are currently in a state of suspension in accordance with the constitution.) Much of the work involves responding to the wide variety of email enquiries that come through from those wanting to complete a Round. There is a certain amount of contact with the media in all its forms. Close liaison with the Membership Secretary (currently Bob Wightman) and the Chairman (Selwyn Wright) is required. And some of the work in organising the Biennial Dinner.

The Club has several registered domain names and it is easy to create a discrete email address to receive Club email communications to keep Club email traffic separate from other business.

If any member or associate membership is interested in discussing the role, please email me at [email protected] with contact details and we can set up a call or meeting to discuss further.
    Last edited by MorganW; 09-03-2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Trainspotters.....😉