Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: At what point...?

[QUOTE=Travs;631592]...can you consider yourself an 'experienced fell runner'....?

When you're a Vicar and you email Wynn Cliff to find out the date of the Anniversary Waltz before agreeing to conduct a wedding on a Saturday in April.
    Run the race. Keep the faith.
    (2 Tim 4:7)

[QUOTE=Rev Richard;632241]
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    ...can you consider yourself an 'experienced fell runner'....?

When you're a Vicar and you email Wynn Cliff to find out the date of the Anniversary Waltz before agreeing to conduct a wedding on a Saturday in April.
    Psalm 121 seems appropriate here!
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

[QUOTE=johnmc;632248]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Richard View Post

Psalm 121 seems appropriate here!
    This one? SAM_0558.jpg
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

I rarely call myself a fell runner tbh. First and foremost, I guess, I'm a runner and walker and occasional cyclist. If I'm running out in the fells or 'wilds' on a regular basis, and in all weathers/conditions I'm happy to but otherwise I slip into saying I'm generally a trail or off-road runner. Being a full on fellrunner is, to me, a very specific thing on the one hand but wide ranging on the other. Possibly someone already alluded to this in the runner/racer aspect. Also I have massive respect for genuine, proper fell runners that I get embarrassed slightly to put myself into that catagory.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've been running on the fells for coming up to two years now. Probably done 30-35 races, well over 20 of them will be either 'A longs' or if not, considered as tough routes like Haworth Hobble, Long Mynd Valleys, Roaches, etc.
    If race tally is a factor then those living in or near the Lakes are at a tremendous advantage. My first race was the Pentland Skyline in 2010 and you've comfortably done more races than me since then. That's partly inclination, but if I wanted to race once a fortnight I'd be putting serious mileage on the car.

I think there needs to be some consideration of quality as well as quantity. Loads of fair weather racing where there are plenty people to follow, plus a BG with a full cohort of pacers, navigators and road crew is likely to teach you less than a day out alone in winter getting the crap kicked out of you by the weather. That probably speaks to the multifaceted nature of the sport, I'd think of an experienced runner as having breadth as well as depth of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    If race tally is a factor then those living in or near the Lakes are at a tremendous advantage. My first race was the Pentland Skyline in 2010 and you've comfortably done more races than me since then. That's partly inclination, but if I wanted to race once a fortnight I'd be putting serious mileage on the car.

I think there needs to be some consideration of quality as well as quantity. Loads of fair weather racing where there are plenty people to follow, plus a BG with a full cohort of pacers, navigators and road crew is likely to teach you less than a day out alone in winter getting the crap kicked out of you by the weather. That probably speaks to the multifaceted nature of the sport, I'd think of an experienced runner as having breadth as well as depth of experience.
    Ally I'm in a similar situation to yourself. Any race in the Lakes, Scotland, Snowdonia, Yorkshire, generally entails at least a night away. Two nights if I can't face the thought of driving back after racing the same day. If it's in the Peaks, Shropshire or mid/South Wales then generally doable in a day.