Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At what point...?

Master
    Are we talking Fell runner or Fell racer ? because the 2 are very different IMO.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Are we talking Fell runner or Fell racer ? because the 2 are very different IMO.
    I'd agree with that. Two different beasts entirely .... though I have to say there is bound to be a bit of blurring between the two. I like to think of myself as a fellrunner (others may disagree), but I occasionally celebrate this fact by doing a fell race
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I'd agree with that. Two different beasts entirely .... though I have to say there is bound to be a bit of blurring between the two. I like to think of myself as a fellrunner (others may disagree), but I occasionally celebrate this fact by doing a fell race
    Very much so. I had two years of running and racing on the fells, with performances better than I ever expected, before contracting exercise induced asthma in 1985.
    I went on to complete the Lakes 3000's at a very sedentary pace and continued to be at the tail end of the odd race; but I never really felt that I'd 'come of age' until I completed a solo, unsupported Scottish Coast to Coast at a walk/jog pace in the summer of 2000. This was inspired by the exploits of Ian Leighton and Robin Price as reported in various edition of the FRM in the mid-80's. Sadly, I took 9 days against their 4.5 and I didn't bag half as many Munroes.

Ian Roberts, Bowland F.R.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I reckon anyone who can get around one of the 'big beast' races like Peris or Borrowdale can consider themselves 'experienced and/or certifiable' !!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I reckon anyone who can get around one of the 'big beast' races like Peris or Borrowdale can consider themselves 'experienced and/or certifiable' !!
    Peris makes Borrowdale look like a park run

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Ran Langdale after a sesh in the ODG the night before
    Well I've done the Langdale road marathon after a sesh in the ODG...not too pleasant it has to be said; I did the OCT last year after one too many in the ODG...but luckily not enough too unpleasant!!

I think 'experience' is reflected by confidence out in the hills. A well-earned confidence, not arrogance, but confidence which comes from spending time in the hills, learning about them, respecting them, and knowing you have developed the skills to look after yourself in all conditions, even (especially) if that means bailing out when you recognise you've reached your limits on a given day. When you have that, regardless of what events you may or may not have done, then you're experienced.

Getting out plenty doesn't necessarily reflect 'competent' or 'capable', in all aspects of fell running just as getting round the toughest fell routes might only qualify you as 'fit' rather than anything more. Looks how many supposedly 'experienced' fell runners get lost every year when the mist blows in!

Obviously everyone has an accident, or goes off-track at some point, even the very best, but it's what happens then that determines the level of your experience and competence.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevinbyTorchlight View Post
    I think 'experience' is reflected by confidence out in the hills. A well-earned confidence, not arrogance, but confidence which comes from spending time in the hills, learning about them, respecting them, and knowing you have developed the skills to look after yourself in all conditions, even (especially) if that means bailing out when you recognise you've reached your limits on a given day. When you have that, regardless of what events you may or may not have done, then you're experienced.

Getting out plenty doesn't necessarily reflect 'competent' or 'capable', in all aspects of fell running just as getting round the toughest fell routes might only qualify you as 'fit' rather than anything more. Looks how many supposedly 'experienced' fell runners get lost every year when the mist blows in!

Obviously everyone has an accident, or goes off-track at some point, even the very best, but it's what happens then that determines the level of your experience and competence.
    Spot on C-b-T, particularly that last line.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Hmmm but experienced at what kind of fells, at what time of day, in which weather conditions...

By the definition of the word, after you have been fell running for one afternoon you have *experienced* fell running. After that it is into "degrees of experience".

If you have been fell running/racing for 2 years I think you could call yourself an experienced fell runner, as by definition, you have experienced it consistently for over two years. What does that mean though and why do you want to know? If it is for bragging rights with your urban office dwelling colleagues then definitely, you are a hardy experienced fell runner. If you are considering tackling a route or race that is advertised as "requiring experience", then I would always ask myself each time (and maybe each time when taking on a new route) "okay what *specific* experience does this route need". Is it scrambling on a ridge, or solo navigating a expanse of high fell? If you're confident in your experience in doing that great, if you're not then find a buddy and do a bit of gaining experience (which is always fun).
    Last edited by PiesAreGood; 13-03-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by dantodman View Post
    Peris makes Borrowdale look like a park run
    Agree... I think getting round something like Borrowdale or Langdale in good conditions on a champs day, although requiring a massive amount of fitness (as my legs on the way down from Dale Head will testify), but not necessarily the skills to keep you safe, at a more remote race with no train of people to follow.

Failure and learning from mistakes also forms a big part in my opinion. I personally learnt a great deal more about myself and my abilities in the couple of hours I spent awol between Seatallan and Pillar last year at Wasdale before getting timed out, than I did at a host of other races which I completed with a spring in my step.

Got to agree with the above regarding the comparison of Borrowdale and Peris though. There's absolutely no doubt that Borrowdale on a bad day is as tough and dangerous as anything, but there should arguably be another category above 'AL' for the likes of Wasdale/Peris/Buttermere/insert as applicable..... And I'd arguably add Welsh 1000m to that list as well.