Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running Hard

The Fear Factor......Yes, I would look forward to reading a fell running book with this title, when do you start Graham?
    A circular route mostly downhill

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    In the era that I'm referring to, Downham was held on a Saturday afternoon in early to mid-August (2 weeks before Pendleton) and finished over Worsaw Hill - walking the plank and jumping off the wall into a bed of nettles. The start was just above the Asherton Arms; they wheeled out Lord Clitheroe from his adjacent home, propped him against a telegraph pole and he started the race with his 'service revolver', my dear Watson.

I also ran Downham in 1983 (and finished well ahead of I Roberts ; although they have put my club down in the results as Cumberland FR, which must have been a misinterpretation of CUFRC). And yes, I do remember the Wall, and the sting in the tail over Worsaw Hill.

In the era that I'm referring to, Downham was held on a Saturday afternoon in early to mid-August (2 weeks before Pendleton) and finished over Worsaw Hill - walking the plank and jumping off the wall into a bed of nettles.
    Nettles?

Bill doesn't mention any nettles for the inaugural race but I believe you so they must have grown since he finished the text of SMOTS in 1981 .
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

In the era that I'm referring to, Downham was held on a Saturday afternoon in early to mid-August (2 weeks before Pendleton) and finished over Worsaw Hill - walking the plank and jumping off the wall into a bed of nettles. The start was just above the Asherton Arms; they wheeled out Lord Clitheroe from his adjacent home, propped him against a telegraph pole and he started the race with his 'service revolver', my dear Watson.
    I also ran the Downham 5.5 mile race from 1984 through to 1991 and was latterly organised by Colin Taylor of Clayton Harriers.
    There was poor visibility in 1991 and some runners ended up in Barley. Colin got a lot of stick that year from runners for not 'flagging the route' so he threw in the towel and there was no race in 1992.
    In 1993 he resurrected the race, but the route was extended to 6.5 miles with an extra climb in the middle. It was last run in 1997.
    I too can recall running the plank, over the wall / barbed wire, and the nettles too! Great times were had before Mr Health & Safety got involved

The only race that starts from Downham now is the Pendle Cloughs race ~ this year it's on Sunday 4th June at 11.00am. It will be good to see some old and new faces there.
    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=5306
    See the light in the night

Aye-up Mark, I've just followed the link and seen that you are now the RO for Pendle Cloughs.
    Well done lad, all the best and I hope that everything goes well ...... I will be embroiled in cycling Lancaster to John o' Groats; having ridden Lancaster to Land's End in 2007.

Ian.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Aye-up Mark, I've just followed the link and seen that you are now the RO for Pendle Cloughs.
    Well done lad, all the best and I hope that everything goes well ...... I will be embroiled in cycling Lancaster to John o' Groats; having ridden Lancaster to Land's End in 2007.

Ian.
    Yes ~ hence the mild plug for the race!
    I'm hoping to get a good turnout for the revised date, but not too many as it's my first go at being on the organisational side of things. I know that CVFR have it as one of their championship races. I'm looking forward to it.
    Hope the cycling goes well and you get some decent weather.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    I'm hoping to get a good turnout for the revised date, but not too many as it's my first go at being on the organisational side of things.

I suggest to exclude hoi polloi entry will have to be by your personal invitation only.

Simple criteria; related to a Dukedom, bank at Coutts & Co., live in a House surrounded by 500,00 acres; oh! and have never run round a park and thought that made you a fell runner.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-03-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I suggest to exclude hoi polloi entry will have to be by your personal invitation only.

Simple criteria; related to a Dukedom, bank at Coutts & Co., live in a House surrounded by 500,00 acres; oh! and have never run round a park and thought that made you a fell runner.
    You are more than welcome to have a run round Mr B. In fact, bring some with you from 'over the border'.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    I'm hoping to get a good turnout for the revised date, but not too many as it's my first go at being on the organisational side of things.
    For such a brilliant race, it was disappointing that Andy never got the number of runners that the race deserved. Good luck Mark; hope you get enough but not too many runners.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.