Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alerting fellwalkers etc

Alerting fellwalkers etc

What's the fellway code for alerting fellwalkers and others that you're rapidly approaching so as not to scare them out of their wits?

Last month while hurling downhill in the Howgills alongside a wall in thick mist, I emerged and spotted a couple of drystone wallers and my "Hi Guys" caused them to leap out of their boots and triggered a barrel of expletives. We parted on chummy conviviality however, once they'd gathered up their machismos.

Today, running off Crossfell, along a lovely long descending green trod, I approached from behind a group of four walkers, hoods up, and caused further alarm, despite making efforts to hug the far side of the trod.

How do I avoid inadvertently inducing coronaries and potential manslaughter charges? Assume an asthmatic cough, carry a klaxon, ping a bike bell? I always slow down for horses when driving so what's the fellrunner's equivalent?

An old friend of mine used to shout "runner coming", which in her lovely, westcoast Scottish accent had us all in stitches of laughter - but then, when younger, I (we) didn't realise smutty innuendo was a poor substitute for humour
    Am Yisrael Chai

Whatever you do, be polite, I don't think there is a perfect answer, oh and be patient especially with owners on the the end of one of those extending dog leads across the fellside.....or not!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Master
    I call my dog back, and if no dog (not often) then I call runner on the left or right whichever is applicable, seem to work for me
    The older I get the Faster I was

I'm so fast that walkers don't hear me until I've already passed them!

I'm frustrated by inadvertently terrifying people all the time. I try to alert from far off, and they don't hear me, and close up they jump out of their skins. But people don't usually jump from bike bells, so I thought maybe there's a runner's version. And there is: https://run-bell-co-uk.myshopify.com/collections/all

But I guess the fell running version is to buy a kid's bike bell and tie it on a piece of string around your wrist. I think a bell is the best way to get people's attention and not dispense coronaries all over the fells though.

Just slow to their pace as you approach - simples!
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

Bowland tends to be a lonely, quiet place and I've never had this issue whilst out running.

Cycling is a different matter however. Our group make use of both the canal towpath and the Millenium Path alongside the River Lune.
    In these situations, when approaching a pedestrian from behind, I always take heed of which side of the path the pedestrian(s) are on and having slowed I shout a warning to them; e.g. "If you stick to the Left please, I'll pass on your Right."

One elderly lady responded with, "Oh how lovely, a cyclist who's prepared to speak to me rather than just ring his bell at me."

The problem with a bell, in these situations, is that it does not convey to the other party just what your intentions are.

Ian Roberts, Bowland F.R.

P.S. Sadly nothing is helpful when dealing with idiots walking along a shared useage path, in their own little world, wearing headphones injecting a loud "noise" directly into their ears.
    I experienced a classic case of this several years ago, whilst riding the 'cross bike on The Ridgeway in Wiltshire. On an overgrown section that was effectively single-track, I came up behind a runner and for 300 - 400 yards I was shouting warnings that I was behind him, with zero response from the lad. When the way broadened to a Land Rover track, I passed him, allowing plenty of clearance, at which he pulled out his earphones and started to berate me for giving him a fright. I stopped and pointed out that I had been shouting warnings to him for quite a while and that his fright was of his own making. He responded that he could not possibly endure (the agonies of) running without a musical accompaniment. I suggested that he found something that he actually enjoyed doing without the need for an aurally injected anaesthetic.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 30-01-2017 at 02:38 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

With my weight they are already looking round for the herd of approaching elephants

Ian - I know what you mean about folk listening to music, get it all the time on my commute along the canal tow path. Even worse they are usually dressed all in black so in the evening you don't see them until the last minute.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Ian - I know what you mean about folk listening to music, get it all the time on my commute along the canal tow path.
    Ditto on my commute. However last week I had an elderly couple who were obviously both hard of hearing as I doubt my bell could be heard above the loud and animated conversation they were having. Still, not ended up in the cut yet but I get the feeling its only a matter of time!

Whilst running, I find making any noise e.g. a loud cough, calling the dog to heel etc. usually suffices. The problem often this time of year is not necessarily head phones but hats, hoods, gale force wind etc.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

7466_cycle_aware_heads_up_eyewear_mounted_mirror.jpg
    Perhaps walkers would find these useful, attach to any pair of glasses.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run