Thread: GR 221 Mallorca

GR 221 Mallorca

Does anyone have recent knowledge of the GR 221 running up the mountains of Mallorca? Particularly interested in accommodation options for running the route. Also any comments re timings on the route stages. I know the island well and some sections of the route, but am looking to cover the whole route in one go.
    Thanks

MorganW could be your man to speak to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    MorganW could be your man to speak to.
    Thank you

I did the Ultra Trail Serra di Tramuntana in 2012 I think it was. Andratx to Pollensa mostly on what is the GR221. About 19 hours or so for the 110kms. Winner does about 11/12.

Probably worth grabbing a copy of the Cicerone guide Trekking Through Mallorca which covers the route.

I recall there were some access issues and the 2012 race certainly didn't take the GR221 route in various places.

As you can tell my info isn't up to date.

Super Moderator
    Off over that way soon. Hope to have a dabble at parts of the 211
    Poacher turned game-keeper

A few years ago I followed the GR221 from Santuari de Lluc to the summit of Puig de Massanella. I remember coming to a gate which was signposted 'Privado de Caca'. I hesitated to go through but some Spanish walkers said it was fine and I have since learned that this means 'Private, No Hunting'. Although it was the middle of summer I found that as I got higher I had the mountain to myself apart from the goats with bells attached to them!

All I have read about accommodation on the route is that the Santuari de Lluc is a monastery that you can stay in for a small fee.

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    A few years ago I followed the GR221 from Santuari de Lluc to the summit of Puig de Massanella. I remember coming to a gate which was signposted 'Privado de Caca'. I hesitated to go through but some Spanish walkers said it was fine and I have since learned that this means 'Private, No Hunting'. Although it was the middle of summer I found that as I got higher I had the mountain to myself apart from the goats with bells attached to them!

All I have read about accommodation on the route is that the Santuari de Lluc is a monastery that you can stay in for a small fee.
    Yes, there is a lot of hunting on that part of the Puig. Some signs even warn you of the game rather than the hunters! The usual way up Puig de Massanella from Santuari de Lluc doesn't go via the GR221 and directly up, instead you come South and you have to pay to pass through the finca, Comafreda. I hear this is typical now in Mallorca, with some private landowners charging for access. It's occasionally appears in guidebooks but is rarely marked on a map, so I think local knowledge is key.

I like the Editorial Aplina guides and 1:25000 maps I think they do a set of three for the Tramuntana.

Quote Originally Posted by corredor View Post
    Yes, there is a lot of hunting on that part of the Puig. Some signs even warn you of the game rather than the hunters! The usual way up Puig de Massanella from Santuari de Lluc doesn't go via the GR221 and directly up, instead you come South and you have to pay to pass through the finca, Comafreda. I hear this is typical now in Mallorca, with some private landowners charging for access. It's occasionally appears in guidebooks but is rarely marked on a map, so I think local knowledge is key.

I like the Editorial Aplina guides and 1:25000 maps I think they do a set of three for the Tramuntana.
    Yes I used the Alpina guide and map on my route from Lluc. It was a great route as it is less popular with scrambling and other summits on the way to Massanella. I actually descended by the Comafreda route expecting to pay but there was no one there so I was able to pass through.

I did a blog about it: https://travellingyorkshireman.wordp...ella-mallorca/