Thread: Kilian Jornet for BGR?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Interesting that most people seem to equate him having a go at the round with him trying to break the record. Bloody foreigners coming over here, stealing our records…

As observed above, he’s likely to be doing it off the back of UTMB and Glencoe Skyline, so may not be fresh for a serious challenge, like Jurek and Gates a couple of years ago. Maybe he’s just after a good day out. He’s born, bred and lives in the mountains. Different mountains, but mountains nonetheless. Always seems like a humble guy to me. Yeah, he’s a sponsored runner, but who wouldn’t be given the choice?

If he did give it a good go, consider: Jasmin P did around 15h30m last year for her BGR and 28h30m for the UTMB. Seriously impressive stuff. I’d guess KJ would be looking to take 6h30m or more off her UTMB time. Obviously there’s a lot of other factors at play here that are impossible to quantify, but a ballpark figure suggests 2-3h off Jasmin’s BGR time might be plausible.

If he were to focus on it and have a proper crack at the record, I reckon he’d smash it. That it would take someone of his calibre to do it is testament to the current record.
    On a slightly modified UTMB route (but no easier)in 2011 (the last time he did it) he ran 20.36. It is hard to equate that to the BG. But as you say if he decided to have a crack at the record that sort of performance would get him very close to Billy's time.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 30-03-2017 at 02:05 PM.