Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilian Jornet for BGR?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Dunlop Greenflash please!
    Hey don't knock those. I ran my first road race in a pair of Dunlop Greenflash when the M65 opened about 35 years ago.
    Inov8's for me now though.
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    All this negativity just fills me with dread.

Lets embrace that fact that a very talented individual who could pick any race or challenge wants to come to the lakes and have a go at the BGR.
    For me Kilian is a nobody until he's done Burnsall and won his age category.

The man himself has said nothing so far other than the simple announcement it's in his plans for 2017.

I am in touch with Kilian and he comes over just as I have come to expect: respectful of history and traditions; and full of simple enjoyment of the mountains and running in them.

His planning is barely underway and perhaps what emerges will surprise a few people.

As for sponsorship and fell running being incompatible, I'm mystified. Walsh, Inov8 and others have provided support as well as Salomon. You can attempt to draw distinctions about the levels of support different people have but a sponsored athlete is just that. Ricky, Jebby and Jasmin all fall, or have fallen, into that category. I don't see that fact reduces their achievements, past or future. Nor would it undermine anything Kilian might achieve.

fellow Salomon athlete Ricky Lightfoot is set to do a round in 2017, apparently. He said after his last one that if he did it again it would be "in the summer" and he has his eye on the record, according to this.

Knowing Kilian's attitude to doing things inclusively, I wonder if they're not both going to try it together......
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Super Moderator
    Good thread

I'd love to see Killian do a "local" fell race be in the Lakes, Dales or Peak

Ricky's write-up is excellent. He should do a book
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Well put Morgan
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    The man himself has said nothing so far other than the simple announcement it's in his plans for 2017.

I am in touch with Kilian and he comes over just as I have come to expect: respectful of history and traditions; and full of simple enjoyment of the mountains and running in them.

His planning is barely underway and perhaps what emerges will surprise a few people.

As for sponsorship and fell running being incompatible, I'm mystified. Walsh, Inov8 and others have provided support as well as Salomon. You can attempt to draw distinctions about the levels of support different people have but a sponsored athlete is just that. Ricky, Jebby and Jasmin all fall, or have fallen, into that category. I don't see that fact reduces their achievements, past or future. Nor would it undermine anything Kilian might achieve.

Sponsorship is with us, but I actually think that fell running does it better than other branches of athletics.
    It makes me cringe when I see a T&F Grand Prix meeting, or the start of a major road race and practically all the athletes are lined up in the same sponsors vest.
    I personally would like to see us going back to running in club vests, or representative vests and ensure that sponsors are supporting athletes for the right reason, not just to get their logo emblazoned across the TV screen.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    ... ensure that sponsors are supporting athletes for the right reason, not just to get their logo emblazoned across the TV screen.
    isn't that the whole point of sponsorship? what would you say is the "right reason" for sponsorship?

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    isn't that the whole point of sponsorship? what would you say is the "right reason" for sponsorship?
    Providing support to someone who needs it.

It's been around a long time and I know sponsors out there who provide support to athletes for no publicity.

There's a balance to be had and in some areas I feel the influence of sponsors has gone too far.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It's been around a long time and I know sponsors out there who provide support to athletes for no publicity.
    I think you're confusing sponsorship with philanthropy.