Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilian Jornet for BGR?

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Glad he's going round the 'correct' way. Clayton le moors always go round ACW and I'm supporting a clubmate on 10 June starting at 08.00am.

Do you know when KJ is going to do it?
    Does the date of Stagger's post not give you a clue about his post's validity?
    When the fells call, they scream.

Banned
    Ha ha ha you're so right PH.

Just a bit of fun and I didn't say which clock��

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Sponsorship is with us, but I actually think that fell running does it better than other branches of athletics.
    It makes me cringe when I see a T&F Grand Prix meeting, or the start of a major road race and practically all the athletes are lined up in the same sponsors vest.
    I personally would like to see us going back to running in club vests, or representative vests and ensure that sponsors are supporting athletes for the right reason, not just to get their logo emblazoned across the TV screen.
    Not sure how many TV screens Inov-8 will be on due to supporting fell runners! Although I think it is a bit unfair that good runners get free fell shoes and I have to pay for them!

Good luck to Kilian. Records are there to be broken. I hope he breaks it and I think he will. It's quite a calendar of events he has planned this year. He seems a very humble guy and i'm sure he respects the traditions of the round.

well said. I think it is a tribute to UK fell running and the BGR itself that it is on his to-do list. and he certainly seems to respect the mountains and local traditions from what we see publicly of him.

I can understand why people instinctively are wary of, or even dislike, the sponsored/high publicity side of his circumstances, but I am pleased he is planning to give it a go.

we might even learn things from his own particular approach. we don't yet know whether it will be low-key (unlikely?) or full of Salomon razzamatazz. will he have a massive support crew or a small crack-team?

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner1975 View Post
    Good luck to Kilian. Records are there to be broken. I hope he breaks it and I think he will. It's quite a calendar of events he has planned this year. He seems a very humble guy and i'm sure he respects the traditions of the round.

"I will try to run as fast as I can during the round; afterwards we will see the time" - Kilian Jornet in his own words in UKClimbing interview
    https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item...plans_for_2017

Genuinely sounds like he understands and appreciates the place of the BGR in mountain running history - can only wish him well. The downside could be the wider hype the round will receive when he does it, but we'll see....

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    The downside could be the wider hype the round will receive when he does it, but we'll see....
    I agree with the part of your comment I haven't quoted.

And I hope to discuss the other part, above, with him at a suitable juncture.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

My guess is that he's going to run it on the weekend 10th June. He's a Saloman athlete and Saloman play a big part in the Keswick Mountain Festival which is happening that weekend. It would all fit in very nicely.
    I'm also supporting a clubmates BG on that date so hopefully we'll bump into him at some stage.
    10th June - full moon. What do you reckon...............?
    See the light in the night

Super Moderator
    June 10 sounds a good guess to me. Gives him all summer to plan another go if he struggles
    Poacher turned game-keeper