Thread: New Howgills Race

New Howgills Race

I notice there is an insane new race next Saturday which tickles my fancy.

I'm saying it's new but is it or is it one that has been reborn after years of absence?

I love that the course setter has gone for full on quad mashing - no messing about

http://www.helmhill.co.uk/images/howgillfellraceA.pdf

See you there, i'll be the one near the back

Sadist: A person who derives pleasure from inflicting pain on others.

After today's inaugural running of Howgills fell race I don't think many would argue that Adam Perry can now add 'sadistic race organiser' to his already impressive fell CV.

You don't have to be a map reading genius to realise that Howgills fell race contains hardly any flat running. Local runner John Hosker said the race profile looks like Bart Simpson's hairline. That's a great analogy but I'd go one further and throw the hairline of Punk rocker Wattie from The Exploited into the mix...it's just that bit more sinister than Bart's.

Each of the climbs are almost immediately followed by leg trashing descending and then up we go again....6 times. The chance to run along anything that can be described as flat doesn't exist.

Pre-race and it's evident there's a good standard at the top end with Borrowdale looking strong for any team prize...rumours that they are worried that Chorley have 3 runners out are completely unfounded and just a fragment of my imagination....I can but dream.

From the off the legend that is Rob Jebb shows his intentions and leads the field of 100 ish runners out onto the hills that dwarf the small Cumbrian town of Sedbergh. These hills are unforgiving, the terrain is relatively tame by fell standards but the climbs/descents are brutal...they go on and on. Sedbergh Hills is a tough race but Howgills race is on another level...it's relentless, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down.

Thankfully we're blessed with good visibility...this race would be a totally different beast in the clag as all the hills are similar in appearance, basically big and round. It was also pretty dry underfoot and I can't remember the last time I finished a race so clean.

Thank you Adam for creating a monster of a race, many thanks also to all the helpers from Helm Hill.

Well done Rob and Judith on their comfortable wins.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 16-04-2017 at 06:13 AM.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Perfect summing up Darren! A fantastic race and a memorable day out!