Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trackers/GPS when racing

Red face Trackers/GPS when racing

What's the craique nowerdays ref GPS/trackers?

Raced a lot 20 yrs ago and getting back into fell running. And I'm used to tracking all my training with a tracker/smart phone etc...

Back in the day , fitness trackers and GPS watches and the like didn't really exist - but basic handheld GPS units were just starting to emerge.

For fell races there was never a mention about them.

For Mountian Marathons, navigational challenge events etc..... there was an explicit instruction that you couldn't have them, for obvious reasons. But altimeters were allowed.

So what's the craique nower days?

Trackers are for someone else to know where you are, GPS watches, etc are for you to know where you are. So although both types of device use GPS signals they serve different purposes. As far as I'm aware GPS devices like the Garmin Forerunners are still not permitted in races with a navigational element. I don't know of any running events (maybe The Spine) that require a tracker such as a SPOT.

If you want to log your races via a GPS watch, set it going, put it in a securely sealed bag and only open the bag after you've finished the race.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Most of Shane Ohly's events - Marmot24, Marmot Dark Mountains, RAB (now the ROC) MM - you are supplied with a GPS tracker which serves as a safety device as the RO can track all contestants during the event (they are also fitted with an SOS device) and then we can download the GPX after the event to see where we went. As Bob says, though, if you're carrying your own GPS device it goes in a sealed bag until you've finished.

Most events allow you to carry and use a barometric altimeter.

It sounds as though nothing much has changed then.

Certain longer distance events (I believe the 10 Peaks is one), I'm sure you are allowed to use a GPS if you want, but obviously the small print says you must carry the map and know how to use it etc.

I did see someone using a hand held GPS on the Lakes Mountain 42 this weekend, which i'm pretty sure wasn't allowed.

I would say check the rules for each specific race. But for your traditional fell race, not allowed.

What's a tracker? GPS? altimeter? watch?
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

hang on...
    GPS watches like the forerunners are trackers but don't tell you where you are or where to go.
    They can however measure distance travelled which can be handy in a MM event. I don't wear mine in MMs mainly as the battery wouldn't last. However I would wear it on, say LDMT, but have never used it in a race to measure distance gone as using the map is much better. However were I asked to leave it behind I would do so.

The issue arising IMO is with smarter, fancier watches such as the new models of Suunto, which act much like a handheld GPS system. With these you can upload a .gpx file and follow the breadcrumb trace on your watch - removing any form of navigation whatsoever. Great for recess etc., but even in normal fell races providing an unfair advantage IMO.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'm sure the LDMT permits the use of GPS devices for tracking purposes only but using them for navigating is not allowed. This is actually encouraged as they provide the route gadget to allow you to upload the GPX files after the event.
    I usually wear a TomTom runner for all fell or orienteering races but this has no way to determine your location other than by distance travelled (and then only assuming you have gone the correct way!) You only have to look at Strava or the like after a popular fell race to see how prevalent the use of GPS trackers has become.
    Of course most phones these days are also GPS enabled and mine is usually in my bum bag purely for emergency purposes but has not been fished out at a kit check yet. There are also various smart phone apps to consider which, whilst not necessarily allowing you to navigate a route, would gain you an advantage. Grid Reference is one that springs to mind - this uses GPS to give you 6-10 figure grid reference and could be very useful when the clag descends.
    Last edited by PeteS; 11-04-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    hang on...
    GPS watches like the forerunners are trackers but don't tell you where you are or where to go.
    They can however measure distance travelled which can be handy in a MM event. I don't wear mine in MMs mainly as the battery wouldn't last.
    some of them can tell you where to go, if you upload a GPS file of the route to the watch and select the directions/route function, I believe.

Interesting question! I use my ancient 310xt in all races, road, trail and fell. I use it to track the pace, distance and time and, in dire emergency, to give an OS grid reference (never yet needed!)!

You can upload a route onto it and follow a breadcrumb trail - very dubious this would give much of a navigational advantage though, as it tells you nothing about the terrain, just general direction - which is quicker and easier using a compass!

I wouldn't want to race without it - mainly as I'd have to buy a watch instead and I'm tight, but also I'm a bit of a number obsessive and want t record all my runs (each to their own!). Besides, as has been pointed out, virtually all phones are smart phones now and will do a far better job of giving you relevant navigation info than most running watches. Yes you can put it in a zip-lock bag and keep it in your pack until an emergency, but seriously, if you wanted to outright cheat in a race, there are easier ways I'm sure! For all but the elite, we'd only be cheating ourselves anyway!

Thanks folks and as someone said, not much has changed!

I used to just run with map, compass and altimeter and never had an issue. Except at Kinder once, where we went off route in terrible conditions and I ended up with 20 or so people following me off the hill. A device that simply gave me a grid reference then would have been great.

Looks like my GPS watch and altimeter will be staying with me then! ;-)

Thanks all.