Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Achilles Tendon help !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I have had some low level Achilles pain (I wouldn't go as far as calling it a real problem yet), and since I stopped doing calf raises it's actually disappeared for now.

I do a lot of strength work, squats, leg press, etc, and was really hammering the calf raises.

Maybe I was just doing too much with all the running as well... in fact it was probably just coincidence, as I've recently changed my day-to-day trainers, and most of all I also started icing it quite regularly... but thought I'd share...

I would however recommend skipping with a rope as a fantastic way to build your calves up. If you can work up to 5 x 3 minute rounds then your calves will certainly be in very good shape (and your shoulders!)
    .... or jumping just a few inches off the ground with the same timing as if you were skipping with a rope - I find the rope is just a distraction/time waster. Then you can do it as hops - 2 steps each side, 4, 8 ... all good plyometric stuff and great for the calfs/Achilles tendons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Do you have a reference for that middle paragraph re eccentric vs concentric? - and you can of course do concentric on a step and eccentric on a floor.
    I dont actually have one on me (as it were), but Im sure I can dig one out for you...
    Just in case youre wondering, it'll almost certainly come from Seth o'neill or Jill Cooke. I think it's Jills work...

MikeT - Sorry about the wait...

It's actually from a recent(ish) systematic review of tendon loading protocols by Malliaras et al.
    Malliaras P, Barton CJ, Reeves ND, Langberg H: Achilles and Patellar Tendinopathy Loading Programmes. Sports Medicine. 2013:1-20.

publicly available pdf is here....
    http://physiovelo.com/wp-content/upl...mes.pdf?x12367