Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Achilles Tendon help !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I have had some low level Achilles pain (I wouldn't go as far as calling it a real problem yet), and since I stopped doing calf raises it's actually disappeared for now.

I do a lot of strength work, squats, leg press, etc, and was really hammering the calf raises.

Maybe I was just doing too much with all the running as well... in fact it was probably just coincidence, as I've recently changed my day-to-day trainers, and most of all I also started icing it quite regularly... but thought I'd share...

I would however recommend skipping with a rope as a fantastic way to build your calves up. If you can work up to 5 x 3 minute rounds then your calves will certainly be in very good shape (and your shoulders!)
    .... or jumping just a few inches off the ground with the same timing as if you were skipping with a rope - I find the rope is just a distraction/time waster. Then you can do it as hops - 2 steps each side, 4, 8 ... all good plyometric stuff and great for the calfs/Achilles tendons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Do you have a reference for that middle paragraph re eccentric vs concentric? - and you can of course do concentric on a step and eccentric on a floor.
    I dont actually have one on me (as it were), but Im sure I can dig one out for you...
    Just in case youre wondering, it'll almost certainly come from Seth o'neill or Jill Cooke. I think it's Jills work...

MikeT - Sorry about the wait...

It's actually from a recent(ish) systematic review of tendon loading protocols by Malliaras et al.
    Malliaras P, Barton CJ, Reeves ND, Langberg H: Achilles and Patellar Tendinopathy Loading Programmes. Sports Medicine. 2013:1-20.

publicly available pdf is here....
    http://physiovelo.com/wp-content/upl...mes.pdf?x12367

14 Melbourne Court Pride Park Derby Derbyshire DE24 8LZ
    The clinic is based in Pride Park, Derby offers specific treatment options that are discussed with you and are tailored for your individual needs. Highly trained with over 20 years of experience, the physiotherapists use physical treatments to restore and maintain physical, psychological and social well being. Services are available for Physiotherapy and Sports Massage for sports Injuries. We provide assessment, treatment and advice to individuals, sports teams and local businesses in Derbyshire