Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Attempts the BGR

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Although brilliant, will Ryan's count as he went solo? If he had achieved the record it would have been a bit like winning the lottery and then realising you forgot to buy a ticket!
    Oh yeah!!! Blimey! :/
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

So, Ryan doesn't make it into the club as a result of going solo for part of it. But, let's say he had beaten BB's time, would he have officially been awarded the record or not? Do you need to fulfil the criteria for membership in order to be credited with records? Is it officially the second fastest round?

I was discussing similar in the pub other night - whilst he recced bits of the route and I believe he visited every top - does Ryan have a personal GPS trace of the first 3 legs when he was solo to confirm? I know it's not a witness but it's the next best thing!
    At some points (e.g. dodds, Ill/broad crag) it can be easy to miss tops, get the wrong summit, cut corners without noticing.

Of course if you were trying to pull the wool you'd just miss out Fairfield and Bowfell and say you went there!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Super Moderator
    Ryan's run was a very decent marker. A declaration of intent, not only for himself, but for other "outsiders" who aren't Borrowdale shepherds. It's going to be an interesting summer . . .
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I suspect that pretty soon we'll have two records, one an official record maintained by the club, and the other a looser FKT maintained by the 'community'. I seem to see the River Caldew foaming with much spring run-off.
    When the fells call, they scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    I suspect that pretty soon we'll have two records, one an official record maintained by the club, and the other a looser FKT maintained by the 'community'. I seem to see the River Caldew foaming with much spring run-off.
    Wasn't the fastest winter time at one stage set by someone who didn't to it the club way?

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Wasn't the fastest winter time at one stage set by someone who didn't do it.
    Corrected for you
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Corrected for you
    I'm not familiar with that story. Would you mind elaborating for the benefit of me and anyone else who doesn't know it? Thanks

Someone claimed a fast winter time, it just happened to be the fastest known winter time.

Someone else (a club member but not a committee member) showed that some splits were faster than those on record summer rounds and the claimant had no history of running at that pace even in races that covered the same ground. The claimant could not supply any evidence that he had indeed run at the pace he claimed.
    Last edited by Bob; 07-06-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

incredible. I don't know what possesses people to do such things. thankfully this type of thing seems to be relatively rare in fell running. not quite the same, but reminds me of the red bull-sponsored guy last year caught cheating on his Transamerica record/FKT attempt. at a certain point his GPS records were devoid of any cadence data - because he was sleeping in the support van as it trundled him along at running pace. anyway, don't want to hijack this thread so let's not carry on that debate here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Someone claimed a fast winter time, it just happened to be the fastest known winter time.

Someone else (a club member but not a committee member) showed that some splits were faster than those on record summer rounds and the claimant had no history of running at that pace even in races that covered the same ground. The claimant could not supply any evidence that he had indeed run at the pace he claimed.