Hello all

I read an old post regarding the suitability of the couch to 5K and I'd like to share my limited but positive experience of the 10K app which is similar.

I've only been running a month but last Friday I ran 8K I'm still not sure how I managed it so early but I did. I push myself hard and am now running 4 days a week and using an elliptical on most other days (the odd day I do both). If you'd told me a couple of months I'd be doing this, I'd have laughed in your face; the last 20 years I've only walked short distances at weekends.

The 10K app isn't cheap at £6.99 and I was unsure if it would be good for me as I didn't want to run on roads or a track. The forest trails where I live are short and are mixed gradients, they don't fit in with the "run x minutes, walk x minutes" but they are surprisingly good at making you run up things you never thought possible; my logic when I started was if I'm only running for 2 minutes, let's see how far I can get in the time. If you follow the sessions rigidly it's easy to build up slow plodding time. Much to my surprise, I got frustrated with the length of running splits after a couple of weeks, so I doubled the sessions. For one day a week I ditch the app and run as far as I can for as long as I can, totally knackering but very satisfying.

To start with I endured the app, now I enjoy it so I'd say it's worth a go even if you're not on the flat.