Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footwear suggestions

Footwear suggestions

I'll soon be jogging/walking Yorkshire Three Peaks and need suggestions on footwear - ideally footwear will also be worn for my first ultra in July (100k)

New to trail/fell running but experienced road runner.

Make/model and suggested website would be ideal.

Thanks

Banned
    Salomon 3

Sports shoes.com

Make sure you try a pair on they are a little small on sizing
    Last edited by Stagger; 02-05-2017 at 06:42 AM.

Hello Slo-Mo.....

Really you need to determine if you can run the long ultra in fell shoes, or indeed if you actually need full fell shoes for the terrain, or can you get away with a decent pair of trail shoes.

Do you know what terrain the ultra race is on?

If any doubt, and if it's likely that proper "fell" conditions will be needed then I'd use them, but they give far less cushioning than road shoes and you might find them too much for your feet over 60 miles.

I'd quite happily knock off 40-50 miles in fell shoes, but if the terrain was more mixed, such as the Haworth Hobble, where you encounter fell, road, gravel,then I'd go for trail shoes.

Whichever you go for, make sure you get plenty of miles in them.

A good website is Pete Bland Sports, which also have a shop in Kendal. There are plenty of shops in the lakes where you can look and try fell or trail shoes. If you are a soft southerner like me, then the best bet to try them out would be an Up And Running store.

Definitely try them on before buying if at all possible.

I don't think anyone can tell,you what make/model to wear, it's too personal and too much choice. But for trail, Brooks Cascadia are a good bet.

On the fells, Inov8 are usually the popular choice at races, although as above, you may think twice about running 60 miles in a pair of Mudclaws if you're new....

Salomon are not my personal favourites, but they are a popular choice on trail and fell, so must be popular for a reason.

Personally I'm a massive fan of LA Sportiva, excellent quality. I use Bushido on the trails, and even use these on the roads (you can pick these up off the Blacks website), and Mutants on the fells. I've honestly not got a single bad word to say about either, they are 10/10 for me.

I like Inov8 at the moment. As Travs says above, what model I would recommend would depend on what the conditions will be like, and what you can get away with in terms of how much cushioning you need.

Have a look at the X-Claw 275 - great grip ( almost as much as the Mudclaw ) but with decent cushioning as well - now my goto shoe for long days in the hills.
    If looking for something with less grip, then the Roclite 305 or Trailtalon 275 worth a look.

ps I think Stagger meant Salomon Speedcross 3 ( the 4 is out now, but little change, so 3 would be cheaper if you can still find them ) - a great all rounder

You have to try. One thing is clear from all the talk on the forum, that they are mostly all good in the eyes of some people.
    I have never been a fan of the Walshes as they give me blisters - but they are loved.
    I have never been a fan of Inov8 as I find the heel cup too low and they feel like they are going to slip off but they are probably the No1 for most at the moment.
    For the feel of a road shoe the Salomon are good. Some find the heel too high for out and out fell and I have to say I've had a few bad heel turns in my Speedcross 3 so you may find the Fellraiser a better option.
    If it's dry, you can do the Three Peaks in road shoes. I've raced in Nike Pegasus and New Balance Road shoes before. So as Travs says, a lot will depend on where your target race is and the weather conditions on the day. Most of us, whatever our standard (and I'm slow) have 2-3 options at any one time and I always used to take 2 with me to a race and decide on the day.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Some great advice thank you.

I forgot to add a couple of bits in my original post - my road shoes has always been adidas adios and love the fact they so light. Though people have said they offer littl in terms of cushioning I've gone up to marathon distance 4 times and had no issues.

I've tried running in heavier shoes but I've struggled and reverted back - got a pair of Nike once and felt like I was wearing army boots and had to ditch them.

Based on that; anything that's heel heavy wouldn't suit me.

Terrain wise the ultra is more trail than fell and though previous runners have said it can be run in road runners, if prefer to wear trail shoes albeit something light and multi terrain. Same goes for three peaks - for my first attempt I'd rather wear trail than road.

I've been looking at Salomon S-lab sense 6 - I know these are super light and will more than likely go with these as a starting point. For the Ultra I might opt for the Sense Ultra. Salomon fit small so I'd be going a full size up.

Fit is everything. I have a pair of Inov8 X Claw 275s for sale. Only done 40 miles but they're too loose for my feet. £60 if you're interested.

Whilst the adidas adios is indeed a lovely light shoe ( used them for a marathon myself ), they do have a relatively high heel to toe drop of 10mm, so be careful if you jump to doing a lot of miles in the Salomon s-lab Sense 6 as it is just a 4mm drop, and could give you calf/achilles problems if you don't transition gradually. The Salomon Sense Ultra is 9mm I think, so shouldn't have any problems with that one

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    Whilst the adidas adios is indeed a lovely light shoe ( used them for a marathon myself ), they do have a relatively high heel to toe drop of 10mm, so be careful if you jump to doing a lot of miles in the Salomon s-lab Sense 6 as it is just a 4mm drop, and could give you calf/achilles problems if you don't transition gradually. The Salomon Sense Ultra is 9mm I think, so shouldn't have any problems with that one

Sense Lab ultra is a hefty shoe at 275g

What's your take on the Sense 6 SG? Still 4mm drop but mid sole slightly bigger

I'd go for Inov8 x-talon 212. Very comfortable and pretty light...

Most of my runs are 75% Trail 25% Road.