Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Litter

If the sanction is disqualification, you'll most likely stop and pick it up....

We'll need numbers to be also worn on the back and clearly visible in order to name and shame, and of course someone must be close enough to see the offence.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Front page headline in this week's Loughborough Echo: Fined after dropping cigarette from car window. The story is that a woman who was seen dropping a cigarette end out of a car window was reported and has been fined £220 (the original fine was £80, but she failed to pay following several reminders).

The way ahead for FRA is clear. Those dropping litter on the fells should be reported (numbers should be worn on the back as suggested by bigfella), and FRA should then levy draconian fines.

Whilst photographing runners at this year's Three peaks race I saw one of them scoffing a gel, and on squeezing out the last drop he folded the empty wrapper and placed it down one of his compression socks. I was suitably impressed by that.

Compare that with one of the riders at the recent Chorley Grand Prix road race; I have a series of photos showing the rider, third from right, consuming then clearly discarding his gel wrapper. I enjoy watching cycle racing, particularly the classics and grand tours on telly, but it winds me up to see the riders throwing their unwanted items as if it's their right to do so.

Keep Britain Tidy?
    by Andy Holden, on Flickr
    Last edited by wharfeego; 12-05-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Grrr. I'm in a race so normal rules dont apply. Grr.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Andy,

I can't make out whether he's in 'just' a club shirt or if he is in a sponsored team. If you can enlarge the picture and determine that he is in a sponsored team, then e-mail a copy of the picture to his sponsors. It's the only way to bring these idiots to heel ...... otherwise we'll end up running and cycling through one almighty rubbish tip.

Ian Roberts, Bowland.

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    Whilst photographing runners at this year's Three peaks race I saw one of them scoffing a gel, and on squeezing out the last drop he folded the empty wrapper and placed it down one of his compression socks. I was suitably impressed by that.

Compare that with one of the riders at the recent Chorley Grand Prix road race; I have a series of photos showing the rider, third from right, consuming then clearly discarding his gel wrapper. I enjoy watching cycle racing, particularly the classics and grand tours on telly, but it winds me up to see the riders throwing their unwanted items as if it's their right to do so.

Keep Britain Tidy?
    by Andy Holden, on Flickr
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

http://www.cyclingsheffield.com
    These are the culprits I think...

Yesterday, at Kettlewell, I watched hundreds of cyclists going up the road, in groups, towards Buckden.
    I was napping in the camper van (7.30am) and was woken by loud voices; the cyclists talking excitedly as they were still in the first few miles of the 110 miles Etape du Dales.
    A couple of hours later, when all the riders had gone through the village, a white van appeared, pulled up opposite where I was parked (on an official caravan site), and a lad got out to remove the signage from a road signpost.
    I saw him snip the plastic zip ties securing the sign, then discarded said ties on to the verge before jumping back in the van with the sign.
    I didn't have time to jump out my van and remonstrate with the lad (diplomatically of course).
    Then I got thinking just how many signs the event would have on the 110 miles route, and how many plastic zip ties would be discarded, left for someone else to collect, or to rot away for the next few hundred years.
    Such is life.
    Last edited by wharfeego; 15-05-2017 at 05:25 PM.

I had an entry for that event but was far from fit enough to it. Anyway I would suggest a diplomatic email to the organiser, Nigel Bishop at [email protected]. I would think he is a reasonable chap willing to accept a little constructive criticism of something probably not under his direct control.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    I had an entry for that event but was far from fit enough to it. Anyway I would suggest a diplomatic email to the organiser, Nigel Bishop at [email protected]. I would think he is a reasonable chap willing to accept a little constructive criticism of something probably not under his direct control.
    Have done that. I shall let you know of the outcome.