Thread: Waterproof Trousers

Waterproof Trousers

Hi guys,

Can you please recommend some waterproof trousers? I have a few races that require sealed waterproof.

I have had my eye on the OMM Kamleika Pants = however, I really can't justify £100+.

I have also been looking at the Inov8 Men's race pants £95 ish...

I'm quite loyal to Inov8 some reason... always gone with them over Salomon.

I have the Stormshell jacket, it does keep me dry but does however make me sweat ALOT! Anything that lets me breath more would be beneficial.

If any one has used the two trousers above it would be great to hear some feedback...

OR, should I just get a pair of £5 baggy waterproof trousers from trespass / millet and save some cash?

I do quite a bit of hiking, so could potential be used for that as well.

Thank you for any comments in advance.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by rileforce View Post
    Hi guys,

Can you please recommend some waterproof trousers? I have a few races that require sealed waterproof.

I have had my eye on the OMM Kamleika Pants = however, I really can't justify £100+.

I have also been looking at the Inov8 Men's race pants £95 ish...

I'm quite loyal to Inov8 some reason... always gone with them over Salomon.

I have the Stormshell jacket, it does keep me dry but does however make me sweat ALOT! Anything that lets me breath more would be beneficial.

If any one has used the two trousers above it would be great to hear some feedback...

OR, should I just get a pair of £5 baggy waterproof trousers from trespass / millet and save some cash?

I do quite a bit of hiking, so could potential be used for that as well.

Thank you for any comments in advance.
    Question is, are you actually going to use them? If so, then the higher price of the OMM/Inov-8 etc are probably worth it. I'll wear tights/ trousers in the colder months anyway but I have a cheap pair (regatta I think!?) - breathable, taped seams etc. in my bum bag that pass a kit check. I think they were less than £20 from a shop in Keswick and have thankfully never had to wear them.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by rileforce View Post

Being a tight northerner, I went for this approach. They weigh 50g more than the inov-8 ones, are probably just as waterproof and breathable, and cost £60 less. A difference of more than a £ per gram seemed an unjustifiable expense to to me.

Thank you very much for your comments. I also do a lot of Hiking as well [Wales / Yorkshire / Isle of Skye]

I plan to do JOGLE in August as well, so could potential use them for cycling in as well [In bad conditions]

I myself am a tight bag, however, when it comes to running kit I am always willing to spend that little bit more. I will have a think...

People say I'm indecisive, but to be honest I'm not so sure :-)

I don't find the Montane Minimus jackets any use at all but the pants are excellent. They are feather-light, go into a tiny stuff-sack, shed the water and can be very handy in the rucksack on walks for most of the year, as well as in the bumbag during runs.

I got a new jacket when in Newcastle for the Irish race, they are called
    Mac in a Sac, are breathable/waterproof and they are very good value (£24 for a top £15 for pants)

Sale on at the moment too

https://www.macinasac.com/collection...away-outerwear

Seconded for the cheap and cheerful regattas. In a race, you'd only ever wear them in an emergency, so the extra breathability and fit of the more expensive stuff is probably a waste. One point though - when was the last time you checked the taped seams on your waterproof trousers? Chances are, if they've been stuffed in bag unused for several years like mine, then the tape might have started to come away :-)

I just typed a really long and thoughtful post and it disappeared. Perhaps as well.
    I get a bit cross when people intimate that the right kit is only for racing.
    I race MUCH less than I train or recce. Every time I go 'up there' I want the security of knowing I'm giving myself the best chance and not going to give the local MRT a hard time.
    Get some decent kit, but buy smart - get last year's model online or on eBay.
    Cheap stuff - fine if you only ever have to carry it for short Races for the kit check - but what do you do when you are training?
    I like to be out for hours on my own training or recce'ing.
    RonHill Trail tempest are £39.99 at sportshoes.com if you fit L or XL
    Last year's OMM stuff is being sold off as a bit cheaper - the Kamleika pants are nearer £80 currently
    even Sports Direct Karrimor stuff is better than a pacamac

DrMorris > Thanks for your input! With my birthday being round the corner I think I will treat myself to last seasons