Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Advice please

Training Advice please

Hi,
    I'm in the position now where I have a little more time to train. I'm wondering how best to use that time. Currently I run 5 x week, about an hour at a time, maximum 90 minutes once a week.It's all off road and about 500m average a day. I get a couple of gym sessions in during the week where I'll do a 30 minute interval session on a bike plus resistance training and/or a circuits session.

I now have another few hours free but still unable to get out running for more than 90 minutes. What would be the best way to boost my fitness. My goals are to develop more endurance as I tend to do AM AL races. Should I do more bike work, I don't like treadmills, or should I just get out and run more-I can do two 60 minute sessions a day?

Any advice appreciated, I'm 47 and trying to hold back the ?inevitable decline.

Neil

Hello Neilly...

My opinion (for whatever it's worth) is you don't want to add in too many more 'hard' sessions. I'm in a similar boat to you, 90% of my races are AL/AM/BL, and with racing on average every three weeks, I can only manage two 'hard' running sessions a week, possibly three in a gap between races, otherwise I can't recover.

I do train every day, or at least 6 days a week, but any additional hard sessions I do are cross-training, either the stairclimber or the cross-trainer, etc. Otherwise my other sessions are steadier runs.

My caveat for this info is that the two dedicated hard sessions must be quality sessions. And I also comment as someone who does not have access to the fells unless racing, so my hard sessions are road/track/grass based. Otherwise I'm in the gym.

If I had regular access to the fells I may well take a more old school approach and run hard on the fells a lot more, with a lot less cross-training. However hard sessions on the flat are very fast for me and I can't blast them out day after day at this stage.

I await someone else to comment who has some real knowledge, please pay more attention to them than me....!

Pete

Thanks Pete,
    Every time I try to ramp up my training I always end up injuring myself so you're probably right about not overdoing it. I'll probably use the extra time just to get out on the hills and enjoy myself.

Banned
    Get a bike ride in.
    You run and gym so the obvious other cross training method to complement your fitness is cycling.
    Mountain or road biking, either will do.
    You will be surprised how much better you climb and a good 60min effort is perfect a couple of times per week.

Master
    For every hour you run you should do an hour of Strength and Conditioning, otherwise injury is just around the corner. And use body weight and free weights, not machines.

One day of speedwork, but no more than 20min,one Tempo run, no more than an hour, the rest all aerobic,the long run no more than 1/3 of your weeks total and do not increase your totals distance or time by more than 10% and every 4th week ease back.
    eg. 4:30:00
    4 x 5min with 3min recovery + warm up cool down total about 60:00
    60:00 tempo
    90:00 long run
    60:00 aerobic
    following week increase to 4:57:00 and so on.Thats my little system,but just read about Ed Whitlock who at 74 ran a sub 3hr marathon and did nothing but run for 3hr each day no weights stretching, core work just ran steady, so find what works for you and do it.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    For every hour you run you should do an hour of Strength and Conditioning, otherwise injury is just around the corner. And use body weight and free weights, not machines.
    Out of interest, why not machines? I've always been told body weights & free weights are better, but I've no idea why

Quote Originally Posted by Free Ian Brown View Post
    Out of interest, why not machines? I've always been told body weights & free weights are better, but I've no idea why
    The theory is that by lifting free weights you are strengthening not only the primary muscle, but also the stabilising muscles, joints, ligaments, etc, which all assist the main muscle when you lift.

By using machines you are often isolating the one muscle and not strengthening any of the connecting muscles, ligaments, etc.

For example on a bench press you work the chest, but your shoulders, arms, core, and even your legs to a small extent are stabilising you. If you use a chest press machine you are probably taking a bit away from the exercise.

There is also a theory that using a machine forces you to follow a "fixed path" for the exercise, one that might not be natural or comfortable.

Master
    As Travs said. As we get older, and our testosterone level falls away, we need to do more in the way of S+C to maintain strength. And remember, alcohol has the opposite effect on muscle that training and testosterone have. Unfortunately.

Master
    Indeed. I'd like those who preach the superiority of free and body weights to show me an exercise that will work the calf muscles harder than a calf raise machine; or an exercise that works the quads harder than a leg extension machine. And so on......

Then there is the safety factor. Those who don't have the assistance of spotters never push themselves hard enough with free weights in some exercises. Look at the bench press. People stop far short of fatigue in that exercise because they don't want a big weight stuck on their chests. No such problem with a good quality bench press machine.