Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fellrunning...just...wow!

Fellrunning...just...wow!

Just landed back home in Ireland, still sore after Stuc a Chroin. Had hoped for 3 hours but a few hard recent races here, the amazing competition, the blazing sunshine, the brutal nature of the course...it just didn't click for me on the day, and trailed in with a 3.19.

But that's not the point of this post. The point is that ye should really enjoy the competition ye have in the UK. It was a privilege to race such a tough course against such an incredible bunch of athletes. The memory of competitors sipping water bottles on the first tough ascent...and then holding the hand back to pass them on as we were face to heel, I guess we don't get that in Ireland where there is wonderful camraderie, but numbers mean the field gets fragmented. A race like yesterday's made me think...I want to be a better runner, and I want to run in the UK more often...

Conor just be aware that in 2017 Stuc a' Chroin was a UK National Championship race. That would have massivly inflated the numbers running this year. You need to be quick (with your application) to just get into an English or UK Champs race when they are in Cumbria.

It was a real eye opener. The quality of the runners...just mind blowing. There are amazing athletes here, but with lower numbers you don't get the depth. I appreciate it may not always be as busy, but would like to return. And must look at a Borrowdale or Wasdale type event too.

IMRA's Paul Tierney is now based in the UK. He is doing very well overhere with a number of FRA victories to his name. The top IMRA lads would do more than hold their own in a FRA event. Not to mention Carol Morgan and Eoin Keith in "The Spine".

Yeah, know Paul alright, met a couple of Ambleside runners at Stuc a Chroin but don't think he was there.

Nice one Conor. Wasdale for me hopefully in 2018. Echo your thoughts on the camaraderie in the sport. I ventured South for my first Lakes race this year - Anniversary Waltz - loved it. Will aim to be back every year if I can. This one was recommended to me via this forum and I would have no hesitation in advising you to give it a bash next year :-) If you really want to get your money's worth you could always do the Teenager With Altitude instead of the Waltz :-)

Really must get over more often, next year would love to try Stuc a Chroin again, and one of the classic Lake District outings, Borrowdale or Wasdale. Irish Championships on Carrauntoohil yesterday, runner up was Andrew or Andy Fleet, think he's a Calder Valley runner. Anyway, his turning up pushed me down to 11th, so top 10 still eludes me...if anyone knows him tell him I'm blaming him!

HaHa! Fleeter is his name on here I think (something like that).

Banned
    Aye, good young runner �� Fleeter.

Super Moderator
    We met a fella from Keighley yesterday and were discussing fell-running. The fella said there's a bloke from our way who does some of that. His name's Ian Holmes
    Poacher turned game-keeper