Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM emergency food

MM emergency food

Hi all! Im going to be doing my first two day MM in july. The SLMM. Ive done 2 mini mountain marathons this year but never a 2 day event. A requirement is 'emergency food' but it doesnt say how much this should be. Is just 1x cup a soup enough to constitute this or would they be looking for something more substantial?
    In terms of meals in general I was looking at the extreme-food pouches. Having 1 main meal followed by dessert (& maybe cup a soup as well?). For breakfast it would be a porridge sachet with the milk you can buy at mid camp.
    When Im out on a normal run I will take gels and nutrigrain fruit bakes with me. So was just going to stick with the same for this. Or does anyone have better suggestions for fueling mid run? Extreme food do 'ultra-fuel' whixh is supposed to be for when you are on the go. Is that any good? Thanks. Paul

Snack bar for me. Being realistic, it's the lakes so you won't starve, it'll just make a benightment less miserable or keep the spirits up on a long trudge out.

'Emergency food' is a bar for me too. But then I usually have more hill food than I ever eat anyway, so its not a problem.

What to eat at overnight camp and on the hill is a learning experience - everyone seems to be different, so its what works for you.
    Noodles & cous-cous in the evening for me, and muesli with water (or milk at the SLMM!) in the morning.
    My stomach gets sick of sweet food on the hill, so a real mix of hill food including egg butties and boiled potato pieces rolled in salt & parmesan works for me.

Good luck and see you at the SLMM! :-)
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by Drpau View Post
    Hi all! Im going to be doing my first two day MM in july. The SLMM. Ive done 2 mini mountain marathons this year but never a 2 day event. A requirement is 'emergency food' but it doesnt say how much this should be. Is just 1x cup a soup enough to constitute this or would they be looking for something more substantial?
    In terms of meals in general I was looking at the extreme-food pouches. Having 1 main meal followed by dessert (& maybe cup a soup as well?). For breakfast it would be a porridge sachet with the milk you can buy at mid camp.
    When Im out on a normal run I will take gels and nutrigrain fruit bakes with me. So was just going to stick with the same for this. Or does anyone have better suggestions for fueling mid run? Extreme food do 'ultra-fuel' whixh is supposed to be for when you are on the go. Is that any good? Thanks. Paul
    Now I think I'm right with this one "Emergency food" should be still in your kit when you finish the MM as it is extra to what you will need, unless of course you have an emergency in which case you probably would not of finished it. Don't think a cup a soup would work haha as you would need it in a hurry. Flapjack is good. As for the overnight food go for a bit of luxury. MrRTS bought an curry from the local Indian and dehydrated it in a low heat oven with the door open for a few hours (weigh it first so you know how much water you need to add back in at camp). Then at camp he just added the water back in heating it back up slowly so everyone at camp was asking "who the bloody hell managed to get a curry". As for food on the go we always use Mountain Fuel as it's the only one that does not upset our stomach :-) have a super MM and let us know how you get on :-)

Welcome Drpau...first MM. You'll love it. Agree with RaceTheSweeper - just tuck a spare energy bar in as your emergancy food. I put mine in my first aid kit. Gels and bars work for me on MM's. 1 gel each hour. 1 bar every 2 hours. I always take a small amounts of salted peanuts as I can cramp if salt levels drop. But everyone is different. Enjoy!

What to eat on the hill and overnight really is a learning experience. I've had to change over the years as i've developed an aversion to some things just because ive had to force them down during an MM when i've been suffering like a dog :-)
    Personally on the hill, I can eat most things for the first 4 or 5 hrs, then it has to be something I really like as my mind starts to reject the notion of forcing any more food down. For that reason, I prefer a selection of chocolate bars, Milky Way has the best energy to weight ratio! I've used nutrigrain bars before, but found them too dry after the first few. A couple of gels are always good but try them beforehand and if you use isotonic ones such as SIS then you won't be reliant on having water to hand.
    I also take a couple of sachets of Re-Go for the overnight camp as they take up no room, and go down a treat with the milk available at SLMM, so that's 2 extra helpings of calorie replenishment.
    On the hill i'd take something for every hour you expect to be out, and then a spare. If you have something left after day 1 scoff it overnight or for breakfast to save carrying it again on day 2.
    Enjoy yourself and don't forget that you'll learn something every time you do an MM so don't expect to get it all right first time. Best of luck.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. Yeah I was more worried about what they actually deem acceptable. If I can get away with a nutrigrain bar or some such I will!

Hey up Drpau.
    Here is my kitlist from the 2010 Rab http://sbrtrfr.blogspot.co.uk/2010/1...-kit-list.html. Not much has changed.
    Camp food can be bought from a supermarket:
    Pot noodle. The pot is a foodbowl and cup, for the weekend.
    Cous cous sachet.
    Cake bar and pdrd custard.
    tea bags + sugar
    Nowadays, I would also take a sachet of tuna
    Breakfast
    instant porridge with pdrd milk
    Lyons coffee bag +sugar

The most important thing to bring, is a sense of humor have fun.

Mms food for me is:

2 x dried noodles.
    2 x grain bars.
    Porridge with sugar.
    Black coffee with sugar.

2 jelly babies melted in hot water tastes nice as hot fruity drink.

Emergency rations = 2 x grain bars and a mars bar.

Don't forget your 2 carrier bags !

Yes, I was telling my mate about the need for the plastic bags for the feet today.
    Just remembered I need to get coffee bags otherwise I will go into shock! Ran with 8kgs on back today as a test. I think Im planning on carrying too much water but dont want to dehydrate (2L bladder & 2×500ml bottles- so 3kgs in just liquid!).