Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Crown Round

Old Crown Round

The Old Crown pub, round the back of Skiddaw, in the village of Hesket Newmarket, is possibly one of the finiest drinking establishments in the Lake District.

It is also home to Hesket Newmarket Brewery, which produces some quality ales (Scafell Blonde, Blencathra Bitter, Carrock Fell Strong Ale to name but a few).

I was reading some info they had on the Old Crown Round; an 18-mile, 5500' route covering the summits of Great Cockup, Blencathra, Skiddaw and Carrock Fell (which just happen to be four of the beers they brew). I think the orginal route-setters walked from the pub in Hesket and had a pint at each summit courtesy of a barrel of each beer that had been taken up on a quad bike!

One can start in any place but must finish back at that point, visiting the four named summits. I think the record is around 3 hours 20 minutes. A lot of people seemed to go under 5 hours. Most started from the east at Swineside, near Mungrisedale Bridge, or at the Bridge itself. Alternatively others started on the west at Dash Falls.

To get to my point...

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE BEST ROUTE FROM SKIDDAW SUMMIT TO BLENCATHRA SUMMIT? I figure it won't be the same as the BGR route, given one doesn't need detour up Gt Calva.
    Why walk when you can run.

Re: Old Crown Round

I did it a few years back c/w so from Blencathra went sw along the ridge to Knowe Cragg dropped down to the track to Skiddaw Ho. then took the path that climbs up Sale How and then on to Skiddaw. No doubt local runners will know something better. Tough little route - took me a lot longer than 3-20!! Great day though.

Any one who completed the GL3D in 2006 also completed the Old Crown Round. We set off from Burns Farm camp site and covered the round in this order, Skiddaw, Great Cockup, Carrock Fell and Blencathra. It was a most memorable day. Best of all we went to the Crown to record our round where we were awarded a pint on the house, a cloth badge and a certificate from the landlord in recognition for our effort. Not sure if the new landlord has carried on this tradition, but lets hope so? Have a good day out.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post

To get to my point...

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE BEST ROUTE FROM SKIDDAW SUMMIT TO BLENCATHRA SUMMIT? I figure it won't be the same as the BGR route, given one doesn't need detour up Gt Calva.
    You could go over Sale How to Skiddaw House then follow the main path South till you come to the wall at 293 287
    If you wanted you could shorten the distance by dropping into Sale How beck from Sale How to get to the same spot but you'd have to climb over a wall,from there make a rising traverse into Roughten Gill, keep high as the Gill is steep sided low down, cross it and up the back of Blencathra.
    Bill

Cheers Baggins.

One more Q; from Bowscale Fell, to drop down to hit Swinside (where I reckon on starting/finishing at) do you think it is possible to run down the ridge to the E. of Bowscale Tarn? Or is there a better decent off Bowscale to the track?
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    Cheers Baggins.

One more Q; from Bowscale Fell, to drop down to hit Swinside (where I reckon on starting/finishing at) do you think it is possible to run down the ridge to the E. of Bowscale Tarn? Or is there a better decent off Bowscale to the track?
    You could run anywhere on the Northern slopes of Bowscale so a descending traverse from the ridge above Drycomb beck would be fastest, good luck.
    Bill

Graeme

If you've not already done it, there's a bit more info here:
    http://www.leaney.org/lake_district_...hp?walk_id=790

The Old Crown Round has moved on. The Hesket Brewery now has another beer named after one of the Caldbeck Fells - High Pike - making five in all. On 20th June 2009 the 'New' Old Crown Round will be inaugurated in a mass event. In keeping with the original Round set up by Hesket Brewery founders Jim and Liz, there will be a cask of the appropriate ale or porter on each of the five summits to provide a tipple to runners and walkers, and a free pint in the Old Crown on completion. All entrants to the Round will be timed in and out and a cup will be presented to the runner with the fastest time. The round will start and finish at the Old Crown Hesket Newmarket. There will be walkers as well as runners and everyone who completes the round will get a certificate and a pint. Entry is restricted to the first 120 applicants and applications can be made on-line at www.wanderingaengustreks.com. The entry fee is £15 and all proceeds will go to the Lake District Mountain Rescue.

Just put my entry in.

I'm tempted too. Though more chance of getting lost with all the beer on offer
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009