Thread: Howtown Fell Race

Howtown Fell Race

Additional Info
    Proceeds - All proceeds from the race will go to the Bobbin Mill in Howtown, a fantastic little community resource centre.
    Entry - £3 on day only - but there is a limit of 100 on the race (to maintain the low key feel to the race and also after discussion with the landowners). The record field was 68 runners last year so still some way off reaching the limit, but arrive early to guarantee a place. Please have correct change if possible.
    Kit checks - before you register - please have the right kit (Full FRA kit requirements)
    Registration - at the Bobbin Mill in Howtown. 5 mins from car parking. Last registration will be 10.50 as start is a little way from registration.
    Car Parking - limited to the small field belonging to Outward Bound so please car share where possible
    Maps - A limited number of waterproof maps covering the route will be available for £1 (all proceeds from maps going to the Bobbin Mill). If you want to reserve a map please message RO.
    Cut offs - 2 hours CP2 High Raise, 3 hours CP3 Place Fell
    Cakes - there will be a great selection of cakes afterwards - any donations going to the Bobbin Mill.
    Bad weather alternative - an alternative lower level route agreed with landowners will be used to avoid marshals being exposed up high for too long in the event of extreme weather. Details of the alternative route will be available in advance if the forecast is looking unfavourable in the days leading up to the race.

In the absence of a certain Mr Fishwick from today’s race, (apparently it’s his anniversary- not even Darren could justify racing today) I thought I’d step briefly into his shoes to deliver a race report...

*clears throat*

“When you’re alone, and life is making you lonely, you can always go...”
    Howtown

Not sure that’s strictly what Petula had in mind when she penned her 60’s hit, but it was going through my head for much of today’s run thanks to my mate James, who somehow managed to serenade me on the first climb up to Loadpot Hill. How he had the breath for that I don’t know- I was diggin in already and couldn’t manage much more than a grunt by way of acknowledgement.

Not much chance of being lonely in the usually quiet far eastern fells today- the race was sold out. All 100 places taken. Also a triathlon in the valley, and some kind of classic car event- it was proper heaving.

By the time we were over High Raise and down past Angle Tarn, I was suffering in the heat and sweating buckets. James was still on my shoulder but I definitely wasn’t up for a duet. The climb up to Place Fell felt harder than usual, but just over the summit we we were treated to a biblical downpour which was just magic. Proper tropical style rain. Lovely.

There’s a surprising amount of route choice in this race, but if you’re not sure you can stick to the paths (more or less) and not lose much time. I reckon Petula had it right. “You can forget all your problems, forget all your cares...” Definitely on those long grassy descents...

£4 and cake at the finish. Recommended. Just don’t expect me to sing.

Thanks to all involved in putting on such a great event. (Oh, and congrats to Darren and Alison!)

Harv

Great write up Harv.....keep em coming pal.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Great report. I've started singing the song to myself now. For those further down the field, the rain started en-route to High Raise and the downpour was on the stiff climb up to Place Fell. Plenty of route choice indeed - I ran through Angletarn Pikes in splendid isolation, and coming off Place Fell the descent options seemed to be myriad. Thanks to the organisers - this is a super race and one of the best value out there. John Duff, Northumberland FR