Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uphill training tips

How many middle aged women complain that their husband is too skinny? I think you're in the minority there.

I hope her enjoyment of your new love handles more than offsets the disappointment of being slower up hills.

Thankfully Mrs Noel likes me skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    How many middle aged women complain that their husband is too skinny? I think you're in the minority there.

I hope her enjoyment of your new love handles more than offsets the disappointment of being slower up hills.

Thankfully Mrs Noel likes me skinny.
    Less of the 'love handles' please. It's pure muscle!

Neilly i am also 6ft2" and i am betwen 12.5 and 12.75 stone, and i am far from overweight. I am maybe fairly well built for a typical fell runner, but i think when you are tall, and dare i say it, lanky(!!) like us, it is a fine line. Certainly i used to compete at Kickboxing at a smidgen under 12 stone and i was very skinny, so it's amazing how much a small amount of weight can change appearance.

I could probably get away with being 80kg but i'd not really want my 'walk round' weight to be much lower than that, but we're all built differently.

As to whether it makes a difference to uphill running i can't say, i've been hovering around this weight, give or take a few pounds, since i've been fell running. But as someone who once strayed over 100kg in my bad days, carrying a rucsac is no issue to me as it probably still weighs less that what i used to be lugging round on my waist!

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Interesting about weight loss/gain. I put on about 10lb on purpose last year as my wife said I was too skinny-I don't think I was 6'2 and 11st5. I'm now up to 12st-not exactly fat mind you. Been doing the same amount of running but eating more and doing more strength work. I've really noticed my uphill times slowing, about 10% on a long climb. On the flat and downhill I'm fine-well as fine as I get. I just assumed I was past it (47) but maybe its lugging the extra bulk about?
    tbf thats abot 14-15% increase in weight so is bound to have affect I'd guess.

I'm also 6' 2" and tend to be around 12st 6 - 4lb at January. I then have recently been trying to get to sub 12st. On the couple of occasions I've managed I have certainly performed better....core, strength etc have helped also recently. Also I fair few years ago I noted how the step machine definately assisted my afforts on the Ben Nevis Race, admittedly starting at a pretty low point climb wise.
    Last edited by that_fjell_guy; 28-06-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    tbf thats abot 14-15% increase in weight so is bound to have affect I'd guess.

I'm also 6' 2" and tend to be around 12st 6 - 4lb at January. I then have recently been trying to get to sub 12st. On the couple of occasions I've managed I have certainly performed better....core, strength etc have helped also recently. Also I fair few years ago I noted how the step machine definately assisted my afforts on the Ben Nevis Race, admittedly starting at a pretty low point climb wise.
    Not that it's really important, but I reckon it's more like a 6% increase in weight rather than 14-15%

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Not that it's really important, but I reckon it's more like a 6% increase in weight rather than 14-15%
    When I look at photos of me at 11,5 I've got the 'skeletor' look going on, which isnt great. I doubt I can blame my poor performance on my weight, theres plenty of bigger runners out there faster than me. Im just looking for a quick fix!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me with my maths!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

A good tip for uphill running is to lift the front leg (knee) rather than pushing off from the back leg (calf). Some people (me included) use the calf too much. As well as overloading the calf this causes more ground contact which can slow pace and lean a runner too far forward. Concentrating on lifting the knee first (you will naturally use calf then just after).

Another one is increasing cadence where possible. Best way to achieve this in practice is to imagine it as running one gear easier (like cycling)for the same speed.

Takes a little getting used to but if there are efficiency issues improvements may be made be these adjustments.
    Last edited by Turlough; 06-07-2017 at 03:16 PM.