Thread: Saunders LMM 2017

Saunders LMM 2017

I am a beginner, first MM with my daughter 14 yo. We are in the short Badafell class.
    Couple of newby questions.

1. Does anyone know what time the "starts" usually begin on day 1? Thinking we will arrive early Saturday for the 6.30 a.m registration (rather than camp Friday). But see its a 4km walk to the start so not much good arriving at registration at 06.30 if start times are from 7 a.m ?

2. We have light weight gear aside from packs & don't want to go & spend money on running packs.
    We have a couple of comfy 40 litre backpacking packs with padded waist+chest straps and they compress down nicely (we wont be filling them!) Tried running with part load in them & the waist straps seem to ride up off the hips and end up more comfortably around lower abdomen. Looking at pics of running packs this seems normal for short backed running packs anyway. Should we just stick with shortening the shoulder straps & accept the hip belts around lower abdomen for pack stability?

3. Any other advice or links to beginners info appreciated

Hi Seabeggar.

1: in the past, starts have been from 8am, spread over the next hour or 90mins
    2: the only way is to test it out, with the sort of load you'll be taking on the mountain marathon, for a couple of hours, and see how it feels
    3: cut down on weight, BUT... each take a luxury for overnight camp - a wee dram (thinking of you not your daughter!) or some chocolate, or whatever - especially on your first mountain marathon it will give you a real boost at the camp

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy the SLMM!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

A light bag leads to having more fun in the day! Being a bit less comfortable at mid camp is a small price to pay for an easier climb up a hill and fresher legs on day 2.

Hot chocolate makes the world a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabeggar View Post
    I am a beginner, first MM with my daughter 14 yo. We are in the short Badafell class.
    Couple of newby questions.

1. Does anyone know what time the "starts" usually begin on day 1? Thinking we will arrive early Saturday for the 6.30 a.m registration (rather than camp Friday). But see its a 4km walk to the start so not much good arriving at registration at 06.30 if start times are from 7 a.m ?

2. We have light weight gear aside from packs & don't want to go & spend money on running packs.
    We have a couple of comfy 40 litre backpacking packs with padded waist+chest straps and they compress down nicely (we wont be filling them!) Tried running with part load in them & the waist straps seem to ride up off the hips and end up more comfortably around lower abdomen. Looking at pics of running packs this seems normal for short backed running packs anyway. Should we just stick with shortening the shoulder straps & accept the hip belts around lower abdomen for pack stability?

3. Any other advice or links to beginners info appreciated
    Hi Seabeggar,

Are you the Kayaking family we bumped into at Inverie the other week?

If so, hope to see you at the Saunders. Should be a great weekend.

Hi Geoff, yes it was us. Sue & yourself really inspired my daughter to sign up! Thanks for your encouragement. See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabeggar View Post
    Hi Geoff, yes it was us. Sue & yourself really inspired my daughter to sign up! Thanks for your encouragement. See you there.
    That's fantastic. Look forward to seeing you both there.