Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
It appears to be a problem that is only going to get worse.
There is no way around it and no use saying "when I did it".
Yes people have to respect sensitive areas but as numbers completing or evening attempting, it will only get worse.
But what is wrong with a slight footpath that you will only see from a helicopter?
I wonder about this myself Trev...I remember the first time I did Leg 3 must have been 2007 and by 2010 (the last time I did that leg) there was already a far more noticeable trod going up Steel Fell. Now I presume that trod is far more developed. Likewise the route from Skiddaw to Calva was really becoming properly scarred by 2010 as well. Part of me thinks the true travesty is that it makes the round 'easier' or at least faster but the path forming bit doesn't seem too ethically problematic to me; paths have been formed for thousands of years by footfall - in many ways that seems better to me than disturbing a greater area of land by people taking whatever line they want across the land and disturbing more wildlife etc. At least if the BG does develop into essentially a trod, in time it will affect only a small area. Or am I missing something completely?