Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Work Life Balance?

Work Life Balance?

I've recently taken a new job, way too much stress and not enough time to go running anymore..........think I'm gonna' hand my notice in and head for the hills. Anyone else put running and the fell runners way of life first?

Master and MR

Re: Work Life Balance?

Quote Originally Posted by One life live it! View Post
    I've recently taken a new job, way too much stress and not enough time to go running anymore..........think I'm gonna' hand my notice in and head for the hills. Anyone else put running and the fell runners way of life first?
    Whats a fell runners way of life ?

I dunno Daz but I'd love to hear ideas from people who've packed in City life or changed career or moved to the country or whatever.

I live in London, have a well-paid job which isn't too stressful, and I don't mind it sometimes but I'd move to the Peak or the Lakes (or neighbouring country) or somewhere like the Brecons at the drop of a hat.

As a web editor / financial journalist I could maybe look at working freelance from home but I know for a fact times are hard for that sort of thing. I'm just coming up against a brick wall when I start trying to think of a new job in a new place - could I take the ML course and set up as a walking / running guide in the Lakes? Sounds great but I bet it's not that easy - i.e., a hundred outfits all offering a similar thing.

I am nearly 40 and a big career change can be difficult at that stage.

On the downside, I don't own a London house to sell for loads of cash, on the upside I don't have any debts and I do have some money in the bank ...

Placing more emphasis on being outside than stuck in an office and realising whats more imporant if you know what i mean?

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by One life live it! View Post
    Placing more emphasis on being outside than stuck in an office and realising whats more imporant if you know what i mean?
    To be honest fellrunners come from all backgrounds
    I can understand the sitting in an office thing. I couldnt do it on a regular basis. Doing my paperwork now and its hell. Im like a bird in a cage for a few hours.
    I travel around a lot and dont mind travelling. So its not to bad for me.
    Lots of people who know me down here think Im a hobo. I have a large ( Fellrunning van) As they call it. I even eat my dinner in it most days, brewing up and cooking soup etc etc.
    So I do try and live the life.

As to whats inportant, YES
    If you are single then its a bit easier as the risk isnt so much if you decide to move to nearer the fells. Financially its hard as life gets harder. Just to stand still and pay our way even if its cheap and simple is going to become very expensive. This country will end up like Norway with regards to cost of living.

For a lot I think its a catch 22.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I'm just coming up against a brick wall when I start trying to think of a new job in a new place - could I take the ML course and set up as a walking / running guide in the Lakes? Sounds great but I bet it's not that easy - i.e., a hundred outfits all offering a similar thing.
    you're going to struggle if it was your only income. I live and work in the Lakes and have thought about boosting my income by leading walking groups/ fell running courses. But problem is there is only a finite number wanting this and there are many centres offering similar. Plus most of your work will dry up in the winter unless you offer yourself to the outdoor ed centres.

Master and MR

So to give an idea
    To have a bit of a fellrunners way of life

My Vauxhall Vivaro Hi Roof Lwbase van = £ 12,800 + vat
    Insurance = £ 600.00
    Full tank of fuel = £ 105.00

Would it be cheaper than buying a house in the Lakes. God knows.?
    And can everyone kip in a van on a regular basis. It dont bother me.

Its a good thread though

Master and MR

Fellmincer, Do you know of any welding engineer jobs that are going in the Lakes
    Everyone I ask seems to say there are no jobs.

I understand that us fellrunners come from many different backgrounds, but on a personal point I think spending more of my time outside is more important that a fancy wage packet and a climbing the career ladder. As for the cost of living, your right...it's way to expensive, even to live cheaply. I was in Norway over Christmas...£8 a pint!!

Why can't it be much more simple?? Catch 22 is a tough place to be in!

To be honest I think there is a very fine balancing line between too much stress and not enough but obviously it depends on what industry you are working in and your tolerance thereof!

I've worked in some fairly pressurised environments where the workload was pretty relentless and long hours were expected as the norm whilst not exactly conducive to quality training with a bit of thought and ingenuity I still managed to get quite a bit of training done much to the amazement of many people.

Sometimes simple changes can stop you from climbing the walls, can you run or cycle in to work, can you stretch out your lunch times to get sessions in that sort of thing.

I'm almost at the other end of the spectrum nowadays where there is very little stress which whilst it allows alot of good quality training, work is not exactly what I'd call challenging or rewarding.

Have you thought about talking to your line manager and explaining the situation? Any decent manager would try and accomodate your issues/concerns as best they can.

It goes without saying if you do decide to jack it in and look for another job its worth asking about the departments work/life balance and company's culture at the interview stage.

Hope some of the above helps!