Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Borrowdale Fell Race 2017

Borrowdale Fell Race 2017

Are there food/drink aid provided along the course to any extent? Are these official or passed out by spectators?

Or should I run with the entirety of my nutrition/drink?

Thanks in advance.

No food/drink provided.

There are a few streams where you can top up your water supply, but other than that you need to provide for yourself.

There are often spectators out at Esk Hause/Styhead/Honister, you may get something but don't plan on it.
    I also reckon spectator numbers will be reduced compared to last year's championship race.

(General rule of thumb: I only bank on getting something if I have friends/family out on the hill, even then this can go wrong and you get nowt so they tend to be carrying 'extras' such as a banana. Of course whether this is part of fell running's ethos is a different discussion!).
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thanks. I've done self supported races but none with stream water on course. Is that practically guaranteed? I was going to carry 500 ml of concentrated sports drink and 500 ml water. That said, I see most front runners have no bottles visible on their kit, which leads me to believe they have support on course or plan on stream water as their sole source. Thoughts?

Personally I always carry a litre of water/fluid. If it's a hot day you'll definitely need to top it up I would have thought.

Very much depends on how fast you are. For the mid-packers and lower 27km/2000m is a long day out and they will carry a lot more food/drink.
    Not familiar with this course; are the streams actually on the course or do you have to leave the course, are they reliable in very dry weather?

just curious that new2fellrunning is aware of the entry requirements for this race:
    "To be eligible to compete in the Borrowdale Fell Race runners must have previous experience of long, arduous fell races and, if they have not previously completed the Borrowdale Fell Race, runners must have completed at least two different category A or B long or two different category A medium fell races..."
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Thanks, Dave. I'm familiar, just looking for some advice.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    There is plenty of water to be found even in dry years notably top of Ruddy Gill coming into Esk Hause, the spring at Calf Cove and various gills on the corridor route down to Sty Head (e.g. Greta Gill and Skew Gill.)

There's usually a lot of support at Honister and water has been available there in previous years.
    That said - I'm a 4-5 hour man for the route and would be taking 2 x 500ml bottled water with me.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Looks like there is a special treat in store this year: There's a dead sheep right next to the trod as you traverse around Rosthwaite Fell, more or less due East of Dovenest Top. It's hard to avoid and already getting smelly, I imagine it will be terrible by race day :-)