Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Borrowdale Fell Race 2017

Super Moderator
    Entry on the day?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I don't think it's entry on day, but don't quote me on that. I'm pretty sure the details i received said no EOD.

Super Moderator
    I meant the sheep . . .
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Really looking forward to this, one week today.
    Its a first for me, only other Lakes races I've done are Langdale and Wasdale.
    Langdale was great, really enjoyed it and within my capabilities, but I think Wasdale was probably too much for me, I finished inside all the cut-offs times but I was totally gone, wiped me right out. I'm hoping Borrowdale is somewhere in between.

My first Borrowdale too...hoping to make the cut offs, anything else is a bonus
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    Really looking forward to this, one week today.
    Its a first for me, only other Lakes races I've done are Langdale and Wasdale.
    Langdale was great, really enjoyed it and within my capabilities, but I think Wasdale was probably too much for me, I finished inside all the cut-offs times but I was totally gone, wiped me right out. I'm hoping Borrowdale is somewhere in between.
    I think you're about right with your estimate of the difficulty. It felt physically harder than Langdale (and probably 60-90mins longer as well). But it's certainly not up there with Buttermere/Peris/Wasdale in terms of physical toughness. I think the conditions on the day have a massive say in this race. If it's wet the going over Scafell Pike will be treacherous, and in poor visibility there's a whole host of potential problem areas.

I've trained hard and would like to think that in good conditions I can get below 4-30 and maybe even a bit lower. Last year I was going well until Honister and the fatigue and cramp hit me like a train, and I limped the rest of the way back in 4-50.

Calvin I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The descent off Scafell Pike is something else! For some reason last year I was not looking forward to it, expecting it to be a bit overhyped etc, but after completing the race I can see that it is justifiably a favourite and a classic.

We have been at the Glaramara Hotel for the last 5 days and MrRTS has been out to recce part 2 last Friday (with me. Bloody hell, glad I'm not racing it!) He went and reccied part 1 of it yesterday before we headed home. He is really glad he did the recce this week before the race next weekend. Visibility was awful on both days so a good recce. He came down from the Stretcher box yesterday to head down to the hotel as we had already done from the Stretcher box on Friday. Relaxed and lost concentration and went down hard on the way down. He lay there for a while to assess the damage before getting up. Cut up arm. Very sore and bruised. Knee and hip bruised but not as sore as the arm. Nothing broken so ok. Beau dog gave him a cuddle and a lick to get him back up. He has no idea what he is looking to do the race in on Saturday. Giving it a lot of respect after the recce.
    Good luck everyone and look out for Beau Dog and me on the course getting some photos :-)

I have an entry for Saturday if anyone wants it as I am unable to make it. They need to complete the substitution form though so it's all above board. if interested, email me [email protected]

MrRTS will not be running now. His fall on Sunday while doing a recce of the second half has left him with a sore knee and badly bruised ankle/foot. I've worked on it all week and it has been taped. Swelling has gone down and he is out running but Borrowdale is a different beast to our local runs. Not worth putting him out for the rest of his Challenge. He is gutted but knows a lot of respect needs to be shown to Borrowdale. Next year he will be there. If anyone wishes to take his place then e-mail me and the substitution form can be completed to keep it above board. [email protected] Good luck everyone - go have fun and stay safe.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    MrRTS will not be running now. His fall on Sunday while doing a recce of the second half has left him with a sore knee and badly bruised ankle/foot. I've worked on it all week and it has been taped. Swelling has gone down and he is out running but Borrowdale is a different beast to our local runs. Not worth putting him out for the rest of his Challenge. He is gutted but knows a lot of respect needs to be shown to Borrowdale. Next year he will be there. If anyone wishes to take his place then e-mail me and the substitution form can be completed to keep it above board. [email protected] Good luck everyone - go have fun and stay safe.
    Hope he recovers in time to complete the 50@50. What's he going to replace Borrowdale with ? Peris Horseshoe?