Thread: Adder bite - what to do?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Adder bite - what to do?

While running on the fells (North Pennines) behind my home today, I (luckily!) spotted amongst the bracken, an adder, on the sheep trod just ahead of me. It's the first I've seen on the fells in 25 plus years since moving up north, but I used to see quite a few when I lived and played on Dartmoor. Got me thinking....If I hadn't spotted it in time, and had inadvertently stepped on it and got a bite for my clumsiness, what would have been the best course of action?

Firstly, what to do? Presumably STOP RUNNING, and walk calmly?

Secondly, where to go? It was about 4 rough direct miles back to my house on foot (over an hour travel time at least), although the nearest road was a single track lane about 2 miles away, but only very lightly used by traffic, so a slim chance of meeting someone who could give me a lift. Rubbish mobile reception in this area too (even if I carried a mobile - which I don't).

So, the proposed plan would have been a steady walk home and see how I felt when I arrived, and then decide if medical treatment was needed or not.

When I used to work in northern Namibia, where snakes abound, we were told that if anti-vemon wasn't given in the first 30 minutes or so after a bite (and you had to be sure what sort of snake it was that gave the bite to know what sort of treatment to give), it was a wasted effort to give it later, and the best you could hope for consisted of medical management of the ensuing symptoms.

Anyone been in this situation for real, or have 'proper' advice? I know people receiving adder bites is incredibly rare, but it would be nice to know before I venture out onto that grassy bank again

PS I've goggled Adder and Fellrunning and it largely returns references to Walshes - so clearly not a risk anywhere near the 'hypothermia' category!
    Last edited by Mossdog; 08-07-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai