Thread: Hard ground

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Hard ground

I avoid running on roads because (a) it's boring, and (b) it's a good way to get injured. But now the ground is rock-hard, even after it rained all day last Tuesday, on the rural paths that I train on; and it has been like that for many weeks. My calves really don't like it. I'm actually looking forward to splashing through mud again!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I avoid running on roads because (a) it's boring, and (b) it's a good way to get injured. But now the ground is rock-hard, even after it rained all day last Tuesday, on the rural paths that I train on; and it has been like that for many weeks. My calves really don't like it. I'm actually looking forward to splashing through mud again!
    Injuries only occur due to lack of conditioning for the efforts required. I do lots of road running, as well as a good bit of trail and fell. Not been injured for a very long time. Power to weight probably has a lot to do with it also.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    Injuries only occur due to lack of conditioning for the efforts required. I do lots of road running, as well as a good bit of trail and fell. Not been injured for a very long time. Power to weight probably has a lot to do with it also.
    OK, I've been found out. I'm a lazy sod who just likes to go out running, and never does any conditioning work beyond a few minutes of stretching exercises . . .

Even on hard ground the landing action is still continuously changing so it is not like road running.

Banned
    Here is an article on different surfaces.
    It does acknowledge hard group but doesn't grade it.

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/healt...nning-surfaces

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Here is an article on different surfaces.
    It does acknowledge hard group but doesn't grade it.

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/healt...nning-surfaces
    It also doesn't refer to tussocks, heather or river beds; so obviously not written by a fell runner.
    But thanks, Stagger, it is an interesting article. I note that very soft ground (sand, etc.) can also be as bad for achilles tendons as the hard stuff.

I had every surface imaginable running around the High Peak Marathon route last Saturday. Such variety on that route - really enjoyable.