Thread: Pain in ball of foot

Pain in ball of foot

I get a throbbing pain in the ball of my right foot (behind the big toe) usually after a long walk. I've had it for about 15 years.
    I'm a cleaner and iI noticed that when I worked without shoes on I didn't get the pain
    so I started walking and running barefoot or in minimal drop shoes. This stopped the pain in the ball of my foot.
    I also noticed that when I walk my big toe suddenly points upwards, this wears a hole in my socks and trainers. Having read about other people who this happens to I believe that this toe pointing upwards is the cause of the throbbing pain.
    I found this reply on another site:
    β€œThe bottom line is your toe is pointing upwards because the muscle on the front of your calf (tibialis anterior), the one that lifts your foot up when running or walking, is getting tired, and your big toe muscles (extensor hallucis longus), the ones that lift up your big toe, are trying to help out! Strengthening your tibialis anterior should help.”

I would like to know if the above statement is correct. I ask this as I also was told that the pain in the ball of my foot is caused by a tight muscle or tendon – but I can't remember which one they mentioned!
    Another site suggested that I exercise my foot muscles by picking up a pen with my toes!
    Thanks for any help or advice.

I've been having problems with pain in the ball of my left foot / metatarsal area for a while now. It generally only bothers me when running on uneven ground or tracks with small stones. I usually get a shooting pain for a brief moment if i catch it in the wrong place but then it's fine straight after. Fine running on the roads (which is not ideal) but it means i am generally avoiding running off road unless it's soft ground / grass or moorland. Going to see a podiatrist in a few weeks.

Thanks for the reply - please let me know what your podiatrist advises.
    I'm not sure if what we have is the same - my throbbing pain usually occurs after a long walk and only if I have walked in boots or shoes with a high heel drop which is why i try to walk with minimal barefoot shoes. The pain usually starts a few hours after I have completed my walk.
    I mentioned work in the post above - Again if I worked in shoes all day the pain would not occur until the evening.

My wife has that, forget the name but it is something to do with the fatpad being too thin, and not cushinging the bone in the foot when striking the ground.

Sounds like sesamoiditis to me....inflammation of a little bone that sits either side of the tendon under your big toe.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerblader View Post
    I've been having problems with pain in the ball of my left foot / metatarsal area for a while now. It generally only bothers me when running on uneven ground or tracks with small stones. I usually get a shooting pain for a brief moment if i catch it in the wrong place but then it's fine straight after. Fine running on the roads (which is not ideal) but it means i am generally avoiding running off road unless it's soft ground / grass or moorland. Going to see a podiatrist in a few weeks.

The podiatrist has given me some standard heel/arch support orthotics to try. I'll give them a go but I'm not convinced these will work as they wouldn't appear to provide any support to the ball of the foot area.