Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plastic cups at races

I managed a four hour run in pretty horrible conditions (which probably helped a fair bit) over the weekend with a few hand-fulls of water from a stream about 2/3 of the way around!

Generally anything under two hours I would not bring/need any water with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Seriously though, aside from the waste/environment issue, this whole hydration issue whilst running is massively overplayed. Admittedly on a scorching hot day on a long race you'd be a fool for not planning your own hydration but most of the time it's not needed. Dr Tim noakes debunked this year's ago.
    What Wheeze said. I do roll my eyes when I see people out for a 20 minute jog clutching bottles of water.

The last time CFR organised the FRA relay's at Ennerdale we had to supply bottled water rather than barrels of the stuff to comply with the rules. As it was a poor day most were left unused. Less cups I suppose but even more plastic to deal with and unnecessary.
    One step beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOT View Post
    we had to supply bottled water
    Was it the FRA? I assume this is a result of the litigation culture we now have. Somebody gets the trots due to dodgy water and off they go to their solicitor. And who looses - the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Was it the FRA? I assume this is a result of the litigation culture we now have. Somebody gets the trots due to dodgy water and off they go to their solicitor. And who looses - the environment.
    I believe it was.
    One step beyond.

I believe it was.
    Well that's news to me, and I was FRA Chairman at the time and one certainty is that the FRA had no fear of being sued by anyone over "dodgy water" since the Relays were then and have always been a British/UK (now British Athletics) Relay and never the "FRA Relay".
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well that's news to me, and I was FRA Chairman at the time and one certainty is that the FRA had no fear of being sued by anyone over "dodgy water" since the Relays were then and have always been a British/UK (now British Athletics) Relay and never the "FRA Relay".
    Apologies Graham. I replied without getting my facts right. I have always referred to the relays as the FRA relays and I suspect many others do too. I'm sure they would have a far more sensible approach.
    One step beyond.

So what would the FRA response have been if the possibility of cross contamination had been brought to their attention, a recommendation that RO conduct a risk assessment, a blanket requirement, bottled water be available to all competitors, that no water should be made available, ....
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Apologies Graham. I replied without getting my facts right. I have always referred to the relays as the FRA relays and I suspect many others do too. I'm sure they would have a far more sensible approach.
    It's OK. I am frequently amused when I turn up to fell races to hear the RO announce "what the FRA says must be done" when the FRA has never said any such thing. But why worry? It's only fell running.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Some races have more chance of cross contamination than others - often a shared giant plastic tub of water for all to dip into. The last time I did Borrowdale, this was on offer. Finishing well down the field , there was a fair mix of sweat, grass, mud and sheep shit in the water off of runners hands who'd slipped somewhere on the course. I have to say, I actually appreciated the extra nutrients this afforded at the time and am still alive Any foul taste was soon washed down with the delicious tea and sarnies at the Institute!