Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plastic cups at races

water stations on a fell race?? Never heard of such a thing! Whats wrong with a quick scoop from a stream?
    God gave you a cup...its called a hand!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Splitting hairs - I wouldn't call them water points per sey - except at the 3 peaks. They're more handy road crossings - If there wasn't a road there wouldn't be any water - i.e. Ennerdale!

But yes reducing plastic footprint is maybe something that should be raised.
    Last edited by ba-ba; 28-07-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I organise the Trotternish Ridge Race. We have water at two of the checkpoints-5 litre bottles that runners can fill their own bottles from. I was emailed just prior to the race by an entrant. He was asking that we supply plastic cups at the CP's as he felt it was 'unhygienic' to share!!! wtf! The race is run over a Site of Special Scientific Interest. We have enough hoops to jump through by SNH/RSPB without having to worry about litter too.

hells teeth, what has the world come to! Folks will be wanting RO's to sweep routes clean of sheep poo next!!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    I organise the Trotternish Ridge Race. We have water at two of the checkpoints-5 litre bottles that runners can fill their own bottles from. I was emailed just prior to the race by an entrant. He was asking that we supply plastic cups at the CP's as he felt it was 'unhygienic' to share!!! wtf! The race is run over a Site of Special Scientific Interest. We have enough hoops to jump through by SNH/RSPB without having to worry about litter too.
    I hope you advised him, to stick to trail running.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    water stations on a fell race?? Never heard of such a thing! Whats wrong with a quick scoop from a stream?
    God gave you a cup...its called a hand!
    Ha ha! v true Wheeze. Hands are not so good for your post race cup of tea.

i think that using either my Rab MM mug (2013) or Cader Race mug (2011) as a mug is unhygienic now as they have been used for various paints, storing screws, washing brushes and collecting bugs, I won't be taking them to any race soon.

Ha, I stopped using plastic cups at my race as I found that kids running about on the field waiting for the finish were having a slurp and sticking the cups back on the table I ended up using bottled water as I had nightmares over the though of litigation if everyone got the galloping trots

What's this talk of plastic cups and water? I thought a few pints in the local pub after a race were all that was needed...

Seriously though, aside from the waste/environment issue, this whole hydration issue whilst running is massively overplayed. Admittedly on a scorching hot day on a long race you'd be a fool for not planning your own hydration but most of the time it's not needed. Dr Tim noakes debunked this year's ago.