Thread: Trail marathon training

Question Trail marathon training

Hello

I consider myself a fairly good both trail and general runner. I have run a trail half in 1:15, can do a flat 10km in 33:00. I recently did a vertical km in 44:57 and also did the uphill Snowdon race in 50:00 this year.

However, I have never run a marathon and I've entered a trail marathon in a month's time with 2400m of climb. I might be crazy, but I think I can do it, I plan to do some long runs, hopefully one or two 20 milers as well as as many hills as I can find. I'll be in the Pyrenees, the week before so will try and get some hills in then, although I'm aware people normally taper for a marathon. Does anyone have any advice or tips for specific things that I should do to prepare or training I should try and do?

Thanks

Hi Matthieu... I'm not an expert, but you sound like you know what you're doing...

I would recommend getting in some big hill days. 2400m is a lot of ascent if you are not used to it. If I were in your situation I'd be more wary of the extra ascent rather than the extra distance. If you can train both then that's even better!

Thanks Travs, I'll try and get plenty of metres climbed in

run long, climb a lot. Get your nutrition and hydration sorted. Tapering is over-rated
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Not a fan of tapering either. Will have one full rest day, perhaps two before a big race, otherwise I just feel sluggish if I have too much rest.

Mind you I'm not exactly at the sharp end, so no expert on these matters.

A month isn't really a long time, probably not long enough to make an appreciable difference to your fitness. Cramming long runs now will just mean you go in with tired legs. Get one or two in as early as you can, just use them as an opportunity to practice nutrition etc. and get a feel for running longer so it's not a total unknown on race day.

Your VK time and your time up Snowdon suggest you already have the climbing legs, you'll be grand.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I tried to focus on training on the ascent and I think that went well. I did taper, as in rested for two days before if that counts, and my legs did feel fresh on the day.

The race was largely a success, I was in 2nd until about 20km where I went the wrong way, so that's a different story. But finished in 7th in the end which is good. The ascent and distance all went well more or less and I just struggled on the descent and technical trails which I just don't and can't practice enough down South in the UK. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to descend like some of those guys do!

Now onto my next VK in Scotland in 2 weeks