Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crib y Ddysgl race

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Crib y Ddysgl race

A while ago, I noticed in my archive the results of the 1993 Crib y Ddisgyl [sic] Race, in which I came 8th out of only 20 finishers, (although less than 7 minutes behind Mervyn Keys' winning time of 84:26. The strange thing was that I had no memory of the race, apart from a vague idea that it started in Llanberis and finished at the top of Crib y Ddysgl, but went across to the Snowdon Ranger path rather than taking the direct route.

I spent a few days in Snowdonia last week, including a visit to Crib y Ddysgl, and determined to find out more. Looking back at the October 1993 Fellrunner magazine, I found a race report by Eilir Evans, which explains that the route had been used for trials for uphill-only World Cup races in the past, although it wasn't serving that function in 1993. No route details were given, apart from a mention of the first checkpoint on Moel Eilio; presumably it dropped down to the Snowdon Ranger path from Bwlch Maesgwm or maybe Moel Cynghorion. With 4900 feet of climbing in 8.25 miles, it seems a splendid route, and surely worthy of reviving?

Incidentally, the race report also explains why I have expunged it from my memory. Apparently I had a cold, but decided to run anyway, and was leading at Moel Eilio! [My ability to go off too fast in the early stages of a race is something that has never changed.] Clearly I was suffering in the later stages, as I dropped seven places.

Hey Anthony, that is correct. The old WFRA committee created the route as a selection race for the World Cup because we had to get our racers used to the concept of an 'uphill only' race since the Great Danny had decreed that the world cup race route would alternate uphill/downhill and uphill only.
    If memory serves we first used it to select the 1991 Welsh world cup team and the route originally took the lane past the Youth Hostel all the way up to Bwlch Maesgwm before dropping over to the Ranger track and then ascending up to the railway and then heading North to Crib Y Ddysgyl rather than finishing on the crowded Yr Wyddfa summit. Somewhere I have some photos of the finish. May try to upload some.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

The idea was to try to create the profile and underfoot terrain, including fast track running, of a typical continental course. Eilir was active in the committee in those as well as a top Eryri runner and its possible that they evolved the route to go up to Moel Eilio but I suspect not as it would have been too similar to the Moel Eilio race.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Hey Anthony, that is correct. The old WFRA committee created the route as a selection race for the World Cup because we had to get our racers used to the concept of an 'uphill only' race since the Great Danny had decreed that the world cup race route would alternate uphill/downhill and uphill only.
    If memory serves we first used it to select the 1991 Welsh world cup team and the route originally took the lane past the Youth Hostel all the way up to Bwlch Maesgwm before dropping over to the Ranger track and then ascending up to the railway and then heading North to Crib Y Ddysgyl rather than finishing on the crowded Yr Wyddfa summit. Somewhere I have some photos of the finish. May try to upload some.
    Was this all uphill then with no descending at all? Any ideas on the distance/ elevation?
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Master
    This sounds like potentially the best fell race in the world!
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

There was a short downhill section from Bwlch Maesgwm to the ranger track but otherwise, was all up.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I will have full details in my folder at home....will get there on Thurs....if you can stand the suspense!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

8.25 miles/4900 feet!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

2006 - It was one of those August weekends with nothing much advertised that I could see - Charles and Steve from Wrexham had mentioned a Snowdon uphill only race - register at the Royal Vic for a midday race. The traffic wasn't good but I got to the Vic with 10 minutes to spare, I got some funny looks when I said I wanted to register but I was in a hurry and charged up to the start line. I could see Charles and Steve but no-one else of the regular North Wales gang apart from some of the quickies like James McQueen and Richie Roberts, oh and lots of other lean looking guys, I recognised Lloyd T and one or two others. And the whistle blew and I was left standing in the dust! The realisation was dawning on me that this wasn't just any old race and, as I found out when I reached the summit, I'd entered the European Trials race! So I got on with it, started stone last and somehow managed to not quite come last, despite uphill running not being my forte I quite enjoyed it - no pressure you see! The race sounds a bit like the one referred to earlier without Moel Eilio - it went up Bwlch Maesgwym and then followed the Ranger Path with the finish where the Ranger Path joins the main Llanberis path.

I'll try to copy the results file - I was 41st in 78.18, Steve Vernon of Stockport won in 51.40. Good eh!
    Last edited by Welsh Harrier; 01-08-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    2006 - I was in a hurry and charged up to the start line. I could see Charles and Steve but no-one else of the regular North Wales gang apart from some of the quickies like James McQueen and Richie Roberts, oh and lots of other lean looking guys, I recognised Lloyd T and one or two others. And the whistle blew and I was left standing in the dust! The realisation was dawning on me that this wasn't just any old race and, as I found out when I reached the summit, I'd entered the European Trials race! So I got on with it, !
    Haha, that is brilliant!!