Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running in Orkney

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Running in Orkney

Off to Orkney next week and I'm going to try and get a few runs in while I'm there.
    We'll be based in Kirkwall and looking at the map, there doesn't appear to be much in he way of public footpaths nor ideal looking running routes.
    Does anyone have any experience or any routes to share. Off road, hillier the better obviously.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

We were there a couple of years ago, and I agree with your assessment. Tried running on the mainland and lack of paths thwarted inland running - ended up having a waist deep river crossing. Best bet is coastal running or go over to Hoy and run out to the Old Man and back.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    We were there a couple of years ago, and I agree with your assessment. Tried running on the mainland and lack of paths thwarted inland running - ended up having a waist deep river crossing. Best bet is coastal running or go over to Hoy and run out to the Old Man and back.
    mmmmm... as a I thought then! All the running routes I've found so far seem to be largely road based. We have a day planned for Hoy but doubt there will be much time for running. Is there much of a coast path on the mainland worth exploring?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    mmmmm... as a I thought then! All the running routes I've found so far seem to be largely road based. We have a day planned for Hoy but doubt there will be much time for running. Is there much of a coast path on the mainland worth exploring?
    You need to change your plans and spend more time on Hoy. Hoy Youth Hostel is in an excellent location. When I stayed there I did a lovely walk, across to the west coast, then south along the cliff tops to Rackwick, and then back through the Glen of Kinnaird (a more interesting route back would be over the top of Ward Hill). If you fall off the cliffs at St John's Head, you will have plenty of time to think about what happens when you hit the water: they are 1000 feet high. Oh, and watch out for the skuas.

Yes, in the west. We did between Brough Head to Skara Brea - good birds by the Kitchener Monument. Also from Yesnaby south, very good coastal scenery. Though it's on the road, but with hardly any traffic, the round of Rousay is great and the archeology amazing. It is run as a race, but not sure when.
    The black pudding is excellent, nearly as good as Stornaway
    Make sure you visit Twatt for a puerile laugh.
    Last edited by MattPo; 01-08-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Can't help with the running, but I can recommend Helgi's for a beer and grub.
    http://www.helgis.co.uk/

On the front near the harbour.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Can't help with the running, but I can recommend Helgi's for a beer and grub.
    http://www.helgis.co.uk/

On the front near the harbour.
    Anywhere that does a pork and black pudding burger will most likely get my attention. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Recommend Hoy Island: Ward Hill and the rest. Bonxies buzzing your head this time of year.
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

Thanks for all the advice. Not sure I'll be able to fit it all in as Orkney will be 5 days of a 2 week road trip but will certainly do some of it. Sounds like we'll be going back again next year!
    Mrs S studied archaeology at uni so that is the main attraction this time and although I don't mind a bit of prehistory myself, running through ancient landscapes with her can be a bit infuriating as we have to keep stopping to examine any sites we may pass. Looking at the map, it seems we will be tripping over things every 500m so no chance of a decent run anyway! ;-)

...and the obligatory photo by the sign to Twatt is definitely on the cards! 😀