Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's athletics

I watch on Eurosport so I can avoid the BBC's dull 'one show with some running thrown in' montage fest coverage, and I take everything I see with a pinch of salt and healthy scepticism - whatever the nationality.

As a race, the men's 10,000m was a great watch.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    I thought the 100m was the most normal looking of recent times. No Ben Johnson like miracles, just a good race won in a fast but not super fast time. Well done to Justin Gatlin.

There was speculation, particularly from one journalist that the significantly slower times were due to more stringent testing beforehand. The implication being Bolt and co were taking drugs at previous championships.

As for Bolt being an athlete who would never cheat. Last weeks documentary on him shows him pulling out of the Jamaican trials for the 100m. In their trials its the first two who go through to the champs, UNLESS an athlete pulls out injured. Then they are given a medical exemption and can asked to be considered on previous performances. Bolt looked to me like he knew he was under pressure to qualify, to make the first two, so resorted to faking injury, knowing he would get a through on his great past achievements.

Of course we can't be sure he wasn't injured which is all the doubt he needs in those who adore him.

Shocking interview by Logan, Rattciffe, Lewis and Johnson with the IAAF chief medical officer.She explained over and over again how the Botswana 400 metre runner was unfit to race. It seems that you don't need to spend 7 years at medical school to suddenly become an authority in medicine. Trump and the Pope are also guilty of having advanced clinical knowledge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    Shocking interview by Logan, Rattciffe, Lewis and Johnson with the IAAF chief medical officer.She explained over and over again how the Botswana 400 metre runner was unfit to race. It seems that you don't need to spend 7 years at medical school to suddenly become an authority in medicine. Trump and the Pope are also guilty of having advanced clinical knowledge.
    Agreed - their ignorance on the issue was understandable, but not their confidence that they knew best - a wonderful example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing, and not knowing what you don't know. The concept of feeling well yet still being infectious was beyond them.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Nevertheless, one does still have some sympathy with Isaac Makwala. Maybe they could let him do a 400-metre time trial, and if he beats the winning time from the final that he missed, then he gets the gold medal?

Arrived home this evening after assisting the RO at the Turner Landscape race. My dear lady had the athletics on the TV, awaiting Mo's swansong, but at that moment 3 or 4 pundits were discussing matters. I felt rather sad, as I'm old enough to remember when that chubby Geordie lad was a real force to be reckoned with at international cross country events. It now looks as if he attends more corporate dinners than Gateshead park runs. Certainly not the inspiration that he once was.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    The supremacy of Eastern European women in the High Jump is presumably a legacy of the Communist era, when they were secretly training to jump high fences to escape to the West.

Having an Authorised Neutral [i.e. Russian] Athlete winning gave us an opportunity to hear the IAAF anthem. It's a rubbish tune (and presumably has some rubbish words to go with it). Can anyone suggest a better tune that would be appropriate for this circumstance.

How about this apt one?

Well done to the Aussie lass on her win in the hurdles, i was really rooting for her.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Agreed - their ignorance on the issue was understandable, but not their confidence that they knew best - a wonderful example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing, and not knowing what you don't know. The concept of feeling well yet still being infectious was beyond them.
    Agreed, I was ashamed for them. I've sent an email to the BBC saying so...appalling.