Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's athletics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Tonight's athletics

Last night: Men's 10,000m race, with no concurrent field events to distract attention, and certainly worth watching every second of the race.

Tonight: Women's 10,000m race, with two field event finals on at the same time, so the TV coverage was only partial; yet the race, though very different from the men's, was no less remarkable. Indeed, I personally find Almaz Ayana's style even more admirable than Mo Farah's; she wins 10,000m races the same way that Billy Bland used to win AL fell races (a suitable analogy for Borrowdale Race day ).

Banned
    Just a shame that a drugs cheat won the 100m.

Super Moderator
    And a lot of the other events . . .
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I can understand the crowd having a go at Gatlin, but you'd think that he was solely responsible for ruining the "Usain Bolt Show".... when in fact he came 3rd and had Gatlin not been there, he still wouldn't have won...

I can understand the crowd getting behind Bolt, but they really did seem to be a bunch of glory-hunters... where was the support for the British guy... and the BBC coverage was just as biased, following Bolt's lap of honour...

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but thought BBC who are usually try so hard (infuriatingly so) to be politically correct and unbiased, were pretty poor with their coverage...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I can understand the crowd having a go at Gatlin, but you'd think that he was solely responsible for ruining the "Usain Bolt Show".... when in fact he came 3rd and had Gatlin not been there, he still wouldn't have won.....
    Well as they say in the USA: the British just don't understand irony.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Is that a lance quote Graham?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Indeed. How many of the crowd were booing Mo Farah, one of the most suspicious athletes on the circuit with a coach that is renowned for experimenting with PED. Who's missed numerous tests and doesn't behave like an athlete interested in giving a clean impression.

Banned
    True about BBC same in marathons and all cross country and 10k races.
    The 2 geordies are the worst behind a microphone.

My beef with the drug cheat was that he was caught twice. Also it improves the bodies size which may not have been possible without cheating. Chambers is another. Size improved dramatically.

Proves conclusively that the fastest animal in the world is a cheater, sorry, cheetah.

Super Moderator
    It is a bit odd that the crowd couldn't get behind a two-time drug cheat who got the better of one of the greatest athletes ever, who has never really been caught up in drugs allegations, and who was running at his last ever major tournament, especially as the t-t d c is 35 years old. It's almost like the romance has gone from sport completely
    Poacher turned game-keeper