Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vuelta a Espana 2017

Wiggins is hardly over-rated.
    He has won lots on the track and he was 4th, later promoted to 3rd in the Tour in 2009 before Sky.
    Many good Grand Tour riders were all-rounders and often the time-trialling carried the day for them.
    But isn't that what differentiates a Grand Tour? Some who can climb, TT and makes few mistakes?

My personal favourite road cyclist is Cav. He might not have the medals and Grand Tour jerseys but I've just loved watching him race this last 10 years or so and hope he manages another good couple of years before he's done.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Good finish today.

Banned
    Froome in Red jersey as Nibs wins stage.

surprised so many struggled on that climb. They'll be in bits by the end.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Good that he picked up 3secs in the sprint though ��

Banned
    It's a better race to watch as a spectator.

Steak eater is making it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    It's a better race to watch as a spectator.

Steak eater is making it interesting.
    what a brilliant race! not over even with just 3 days to go. The vuelta is by far our favourite of the Grand Tours! So exciting

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    what a brilliant race! not over even with just 3 days to go. The vuelta is by far our favourite of the Grand Tours! So exciting
    I'll second that. Although the Tour de France result looked interesting on paper in truth it was so dull with Sky suffocating the whole race. La Vuelta by contrast has been fascinating. Contador, (if you gloss over his previous history) has attacked stages, along with Nibali and the Astana rider Lopez. I didn't used to like Froome but the way he has covered the attacks and battled for every second has made me respect him immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    I'll second that. Although the Tour de France result looked interesting on paper in truth it was so dull with Sky suffocating the whole race. La Vuelta by contrast has been fascinating. Contador, (if you gloss over his previous history) has attacked stages, along with Nibali and the Astana rider Lopez. I didn't used to like Froome but the way he has covered the attacks and battled for every second has made me respect him immensely.
    Well yes... but if you have a team funded by a multi-billion pound company who can afford the best climbers etc in the world to pace, protect you from the wind, etc and you are a half decent rider you ought to win. How else did Wiggins...?

If Froome and say, Nibali, swapped teams do you really believe...?

I am not complaining because there is nothing new in this. US Postal et al did it for Armstrong in eg hiring a multiple GT winner in Heras and La Vie Claire did it when they hired Le Mond to prop up Hinault so he could win his 5th Tour.

And I like Nibali because he doesn't suffer fools gladly and is temperamental and I like Contador because he has panache (estilo?).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-09-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I dislike Murdoch and his empire as much as anyone but Sky's discipline and tacics are excellent. Froome is rarely seen without 2 or 3 domestiques. Movistar have been awful and AG2R seem to leave Bardet to work for himself. I do think that Nabali and co would be more than capable of winning the Grand Tours with the Sky setup.